Mica line concern

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meldoesasoapy

Reaction score
Did my first (and probably last) pencil/mica line yesterday. I like how it turned out but it was the biggest mess I've ever seen. I'm worried about giving them to anyone cause I'm scared as soon as you try to use it with water it'll turn everything in this good world black from the pencil line and make a huge mess in the shower or sink. Is this ever an issue for anyone that's used pencil lines before?

Attachments

• 20211205_221918.jpg
    20211205_221918.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 63
I love pencil lines. I do them in a few of my soaps. A couple of the soaps I made for a local winery have them. I'm using the skinny end of the red wine soap right now (it's amazing) and the pencil line doesn't transfer at all. The trick is not to make it toooooooo thick. If it is, it could be a weak spot where the soap might separate.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/special-order-soaps.86235/

I have done mica lines and I find that they don't make too much of a mess. The most I've ever experienced is a little bit of color in the lather, but since you are rinsing your hands after using the soap, it just washes right off. Your soap does look very pretty, by the way!

Did my first (and probably last) pencil/mica line yesterday. I like how it turned out but it was the biggest mess I've ever seen. I'm worried about giving them to anyone cause I'm scared as soon as you try to use it with water it'll turn everything in this good world black from the pencil line and make a huge mess in the shower or sink. Is this ever an issue for anyone that's used pencil lines before?

Lovely soap. If you’re using AC…it’s a huge mess, you could try Black Mica, or Oxide or what Lisa at I Dream in Soap does…finely chopped soap. I make a soap with a cocoa line, never noticed any issues with it.

Lovely soap. If you’re using AC…it’s a huge mess, you could try Black Mica, or Oxide or what Lisa at I Dream in Soap does…finely chopped soap. I make a soap with a cocoa line, never noticed any issues with it.
Yes, I used black mica NOT activated charcoal

Okay, listen up, friend! This is your first of many soaps with mica lines!! That is amazing. First off, I'm always jealous of straight layers -- well done. I use mica lines all the time, for awhile it was all I posted about, Latest alternating wall pour . I have never gotten a mess in the shower. I've used titanium dioxide, cocoa powder, activated charcoal, and mica.

Okay, listen up, friend! This is your first of many soaps with mica lines!! That is amazing. First off, I'm always jealous of straight layers -- well done. I use mica lines all the time, for awhile it was all I posted about, Latest alternating wall pour . I have never gotten a mess in the shower. I've used titanium dioxide, cocoa powder, activated charcoal, and mica.
That's encouraging, thank you! It was such a mess to clean up, but the bar itself looks well enough. I'm glad to hear it shouldn't be a mess in the shower. I also had a super sheer layer of the black mica, could see soap all the way through so that's good.
And that soap you linked looks so good!

Beautiful soaps!!! I did a titanium dioxide line once and it was a mess. The soap itself was tragically reminiscent of a slab of beef anyway so they didn't make it out of the house, but they were fragile at the line.
Hahaha that kinda makes me want to make a beef slab loaf on purpose lol!

Beautiful soap! It reminds me of something…😂

Attachments

• 82A8A170-2DED-43B2-9647-2BD3AABE83DD.jpeg
    82A8A170-2DED-43B2-9647-2BD3AABE83DD.jpeg
    220.6 KB · Views: 46
Hahaha that kinda makes me want to make a beef slab loaf on purpose lol!

I am finding that there is a whole world of wonderful meat related soaps. Since I heard it mentioned in a video somewhere I can't unsee it, which has completely ruined pink soap for me. If you can find a way to make it smell like bacon, I will be your first customer!🤣

View attachment 63096View attachment 63097
This was my first and only mica line. I didn't notice any mess when showering. It was gold/bronze mica.View attachment 63096View attachment 63097
Beautiful! Ok that is encouraging!

Beautiful soap! It reminds me of something…😂
Ya I'm sure every soaper has attempted or thought about doing the lemon poppyseed soap at one time or another lol. It's really common, and never any less delicious😍

I don't recall a mica pencil line that made a mess, but I would expect it with Activated Charcoal and also if the mica line is too thick. But I'd be more concerned about the soap coming apart if the mica line was too thick than I would about the mess it might make while washing up.

Try it yourself and see what happens. After all, you really should test your soap yourself if you wonder how it's going to perform when in use.

Does anyone have any tips for avoiding separation? I understand that it shouldn't be too thick, but I'm wondering what other factors might be at play, because I've watched others use way more than I, and I just can see them doing that knowing their soap will separate. What am I doing wrong? Tia ( I soap around 85-95 F if that matters)

Back