Mica in melts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, after an almost year hiatus from making wax based products, I decided to dabble a bit more. I ordered some wax specific colorant from candle science, but in the meantime, I decided to play with my mica collection (only in melts, I know enough to not use mica in candles).

Now, what I noticed was the mica basically pooling to the bottom of the melted wax when it was remelted. I have used some wax melts from someone else before that use mica and they don't seem to do this...although I may be remembering wrong.

I'm wondering, is it because I'm using soy wax? I still want to put mica in along with my wax colorant, but at a lower percentage. I've seen some lovely videos of wax melting with mica swirling around, and I want that aesthetic! Anyone have any ideas?

Micas will settle out of wax. I’ve not seen micas in melts that I’ve purchased. But, I’ve seen it discussed many times on forums.
I've bought some with micas in them for sure... Really artsy ones. I think maybe the videos I've seen of her work may be people stirring the melts beforehand...

Good to know how they will behave though... As I never really payed well enough attention to the ones I got.

I'm wondering, is it because I'm using soy wax? I still want to put mica in along with my wax colorant, but at a lower percentage. I've seen some lovely videos of wax melting with mica swirling around, and I want that aesthetic! Anyone have any ideas?
As @shunt2011 said, micas will settle to the bottom of the wax in a melter if not continuously stirred while hardening. Doesn't matter what type of wax. The videos you see are an optical illusion of the videographer only showing the swirling as the wax is melted, and not the after affect once they stop stirring and the wax settles and hardens.

Latest posts

Back