Metaphysical Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ourwolfden

Reaction score
Okay I have an odd request. What scents would work for the theme metaphysical?

A friend of mine wants to put a few of my soaps in a special area of her shop that will be focused on metaphysical. I am at a loss.

I have Lunar Eclipse from NG that I’m going to make a “galaxy soap” with but other than that I don’t know.

What scents or colors for that matter are metaphysical to you? Thank you!

The brain itself reminds me of metaphysics. Maybe a soap shaped like the brain or a soap with "wrinkles" like wisdom? Also, is "the cave" a part of metaphysics? I remember something about that in philosophy from high school.

I'm doing the same thing for the shop I'm in. The owner's pagan. What about dragon's blood, patchouli, more earthy scents? That's what I'm doing for mine. Just a thought and good luck!

I'm doing the same thing for the shop I'm in. The owner's pagan. What about dragon's blood, patchouli, more earthy scents? That's what I'm doing for mine. Just a thought and good luck!

Thank you that’s a really good idea.

We should share the pictures of what we come up with. I will admit I had to look up what metaphysical even was *blush* and I really like the Cosmo / Galaxy design (plus people love that stuff). For some reason I keep being drawn to gem stones and I don’t know why, I don’t think that is right at all.

I'm not at all knowledgeable at this kind of stuff, so I'm just thinking out loud. I did find this info that might spark your creative juices: http://aromaticamedica.tripod.com/id19.html

I'd choose 2-3 scents that seem to fit the overall theme and would also be popular with the shop's clientele. I'd design the color scheme around the scent. You might ask the shop owner what scents are most popular for incense or essential oils that she/he might already stock.

Embed a star and/or moon? Package the soap with a sprig of the herb (either a drawing of the herb on the package or the real herb) used to scent the soap?

Gem stones or non-precious stones are used for talismans and for divining, so your attraction to stones is spot on. https://www.bestcrystals.com/metaphysical.html

The best part about the metaphysical is any EO can be used. You just need to find a reason for that particular scent. Your options are for this theme are pretty broad. Try this link and all you'll have to do is match a color to whichever purpose you choose. The names should be too easy after you look through the site. http://www.mysticgoddess.org/aromatherapy.htm

I not supper familiar with the metaphysical theme... Are we talking about the stuff you find in those shops with crystals, tarot cards and alternative-beliefy stuff? My searches mojo has run out but someone here posted a recipe with ground white sage, cedar and something else. I think that would do well if that scene is the same as I think it is.

Talk with your friend, if he/she is planning on catering to this niche market, they will hopefully have a good base knowledge in The Arts as well as an idea on what sells and what doesn't.

A good place to start would be with the Four Elements and the Chakras (You can also get into astrological signs, but that's getting into a more specific market and not best for just starting out.)

The Elements
Earth
The color that represents Earth is green, use scents like musk, tobacco, oak moss, patchouli
Air
Air is Yellow and is represented with scents like amber, and vanilla
Fire
Fire is Red, and use scents like cinnamon, ginger, cedar wood, and dragons blood,
Water
Blue, scents commonly associated with this element are frankincense, jasmine, lavender, and myrrh,

For Chakras, you can make a rainbow, or get specific. You can use the scents listed above.
Red - Base
Orange - Sacral
Yellow - Solar Plexus
Green - Heart
Blue - Throat
Purple - Brow
Ultra-violet - Crown

You'll probably want to have some specifics like sage for cleansing/purification, frankincense & myrrh for anointing, rose for love, etc, but this should get your started.

Isnt salt supposed to be used for wiccan something something? Or to represent water? Salt bars would be fun.

Thanks everyone you are giving me some great ideas to look at. I will post photos of what I end up making.

Using 4 elements would be connected to Zodiac signs in western system Air; Aquiarius, gemini, and libra
fire; leo, saggitarius and Aries, .............. you could put a decription of sigh in two or three sentences. I bet it would go very nicely. You could use numerology also or even Tarot cards description starting from one to 54:))
Reading that thread, I know that this forum and folks here are mine kind of people:)))))))

Oh! Sun Soap and Lightning soap. Got these ideas from one of my soap making books. Let your water sit in the sun (or use herbs to make some kind of sun tea). For lightning soap, collect rain water during a thunderstorm. According to the book, the water will be "charged" with lightning energy.

Wow, some good suggestions here. I have never thought of making metaphysical soap, but some of the ideas here seem like a great place for someone who is to start. Mrs. Spaceship, have you ever checked out ayurveda? My background is Indian, it is pretty interesting stuff. My sister and I are (eventually) starting a small business distributing an ayurvedic hair oil, and the back story is really fascinating (at least to me), I have learned a lot about ayurveda in the process.

Oh, just thought of this -- Alchemy and Ashes makes soap with a metaphysical bent, so you might check out her posts here on SMF to get some ideas. She hasn't posted for some time, but she was generous with her help and advice when she was active on this forum.

Back