metallic gold colorant recommendation?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Soap peeps, I like to make a gold, frankincense and myrrh soap for Christmas. I've been using Bramble Berry's King's Gold mica sprinkled on the top. I don't like it. It's too "orangey" and matte-ish if that makes sense. Is there a gold colorant that is more shiny and metallic to sprinkle on top? And is there a gold colorant that would be shiny and metallic as a mica line inside the bar? Hit me up if you have a recommendation. Thanks!

I like Maya Gold, or Shimmer gold from Nurture. The Sahara gold is nice, but more yellowish. From Mad Micas, I like Sister Golden Hair for mica oil on top, not so much for mica lines as it doesn't show as much.

I love Shimmer Gold from Nurture for a soap top. The micron size is 20-200, versus 10-60 for many micas. The larger particle sizes make the mica look more glittery on soap tops.

One of the Nurture gold micas I used in a soap for a swirl was glittery in the final soap, which surprised me when I saw it. I will try to remember to check my notes tomorrow.

Maya Gold from Nurture is one of my favorite colors, but I think it might be too orange for what you want. It does make a nice mica line though. If you check Mad Micas, King Tut or Golden Buddha might be close to what you are looking for. There are pictures in the reviews on the website. Have you thought about using gold glitter on the top? Nurture has a gold enviro glitter.

For metallic effect I use Nurture soap Gold dust enviroglitter. I sprayed it on top of two of the four melt and pour embeds. I think you can tell which ones they are in the pictures, since they are more reflective.

Attachments

• 0C4647C6-9AF9-4BB6-92C1-3221992251FA.jpeg
    0C4647C6-9AF9-4BB6-92C1-3221992251FA.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 690E82B2-2E23-4F25-A543-AEBC6B7AC246.jpeg
    690E82B2-2E23-4F25-A543-AEBC6B7AC246.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 24
Thanks, all of you! This is super helpful! I like to spend money on products that others have recommended.

Also, great Wonder Woman soap, there @glendam ! Maybe Superheroes should be a monthly challenge? I'm dating myself but in my younger years, I was crushing big-time on Lynda Carter and was thrilled to see her make a cameo in the recent WW film.

Latest posts

Back