Menthol Crystals

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Where is the best place to buy menthol crystals? I am thinking about making some shower steamers and found Cada's recipe via a post somewhere here. I checked Bulk Apothecary and they are about $36/lb. Is that the going rate Seems a bit expensive...

Where is the best place to buy menthol crystals? I am thinking about making some shower steamers and found Cada's recipe via a post somewhere here. I checked Bulk Apothecary and they are about $36/lb. Is that the going rate Seems a bit expensive...
They are pretty expensive IMO. I was able to find some at my local health food store. I don’t remember exactly how much they were but I did get to avoid a shipping charge😁

I've bought them from both BB and WSP, and I buy in small amounts. This stuff is potent!! It would take me forever to use up a pound of menthol crystals, lol!

I use enough in my shower steamers to knock you out of the shower, and still don’t use that much. But if you know it will be a staple for you, it might be worth buying in bulk and having it till you are too old to stand at the counter. Or who knows, with supply chain disruptions, by next year, you might be able to sell some off at a profit. 😊

You know me … I'd buy some virgin East Asian peppermint EO, put it into the freezer (0 to -10°C) to precipitate some of the menthol as crystals, and sequester them from the solution.

Back