Men's Shaving soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreciousSoaps

Reaction score
Alot of men have asked me if I could make my shaving soap with a little more tingle and a thicker lather. I'm wondering how to get the "tingling" into the soap, what's needed for that.

Here is my recipe:

36% Canola oil
29% Coconut oil
34% Crisco

Could it be the oils that I am using? Any help on this would be great.

Thank you,
Michelle

I would think that tingle would refer to the fragrance oils - use a peppermint eucalyptus spearmint blend. Something with some staying power. That would tingle!!

Peppermint and spearmint eo can cause a "tingle" effect because they contain menthol. The peppermint more than the spearmint. I'd search the forum for tips on thicker lather there have been several threads dealing with the subject of shave soaps. Good luck.

Castor oil is great for increased lather. I use it at about 5% in my normal soaps, but I have read that for shaving soap a good percentage is 20%.

I have never made a shaving soap, but have read some about them. It think the goal for a good shaving soap is major stable lather. I believe you need to use oils that are high in stearic acid. I'd play around with soapcalc and look for those oils.

This topic has been discussed here before. Some links to threads you might want to check out can be found in this post:

http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewto ... ht=shaving

Good luck!

Hello Michelle,

in my shaving soaps I always add a little bit of kaolin ( do you call it like that or perhaps china clay or white clay?).

1 teaspoon on 500 g of the oils.

It makes the blade slide easier on the skin.

Happy soaping!
Petra

Latest posts

Back