Men's shaving soap EO blends

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problems I have with FOs are: a) lack of availability in Spain; b) you don't necessarily know what you're getting. I bought an FO that presumed to be finest sandalwood and actually smelt like a Turkish toilet cleaner. Gave you a migraine with just one sniff. And it wasn't cheap either.

Did you mean that your Sandalwood was an FO as when you say it was the finest quality it sounds like you are describing an EO. I have founds that either can smell like something ghastly, and EO does not always smell nice just because its a plant based extraction as so many of the wonderful notes which we smell directly from the flower or herb are lost in the process. I have many of those and also a lot of FOs which are called one thing but do not smell vaguely like that or certainly not once in soap. I cannot find an Amber FO which does not smell like play dough once its in soap ghrrrrrrrr.

So I prefer to stick with EOs for now. Are they better or worse than FOs? That's down to the soap maker. I like the idea of putting something actually made from a flower/bark/plant into a soap, call me old-fashioned...

Mmmm dont forget that Eos can be dangerous as well, just cos it comes from a plant does not make it safe or pleasant, but its true for some.

@sirtim100 - Your comment about keeping it simple could not have come at a better time. I made a new batch with just Lavender and I really like it.

The one that I DID NOT like at all was Sweet Orange and Cedarwood, ugh, almost want to throw up.

I am a new soap maker and I think I am just going to keep it simple and use only 2 EO combinations in my soaps. I am trying to keep my soaps all natural, so sticking with only EOs.

Looking forward which blends worked best for you and yes, happy soaping!

Try Mandarin and Cedar - really nice! :)

EO's are "the ancient intelligence of plants". They are medicine as well as a delight to smell, so they are not to be taken lightly, imo. I love eos in soaps but they fade So Fast....I have been experimenting with fos recently....the conclusion I come to is I wish the eos smelled like the fos after several months.........re sandalwood..real sandalwood eo is almost as expensive as rose eo these days...and I havent found anything fo that smells good yet.

Latest posts

Back