Men's Hair and Beard wax

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rattanjeet

Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone tried their hands on Hair and Beard wax.
Am trying to make one with oil ,however the ones which are available in the market , it includes Lye.
Would anyone can help where can I look for such video. I have tried googling it and also seeing almost all videos on you tube but there is none.

Thank you Isg
This says kaolin, does it mean kaolin clay ?
Would it be ok to use clay in a wax and not wash it off?
The ones that are available in the market uses sodium hydroxide. Would you know about it?
Yes, I am assuming they mean Kaolin clay. I have done a little research and it seem that many brands offer beard wax containing clay. I don't know why sodium hydroxide would be used in an anhydrous product.

Yes, I am assuming they mean Kaolin clay. I have done a little research and it seem that many brands offer beard wax containing clay. I don't know why sodium hydroxide would be used in an anhydrous product.
I just noticed that there is a good percentage of kaolin clay.
I have my doubts.
What I also can't figure out is that applying clay and then not washing it off...
( As beard wax is to meant to be used after bath)

Sorry, I am just seeing this thread. I have never seen a beard wax that contains kaolin clay or sodium hydroxide. Can you share a full list of ingredients from these products?

Perhaps the clay is used to offset the stickiness of the wax? I'm not sure, but would agree with you that it seems to be an unnecessary addition to a beard wax.

Sometimes an NaOh solution is used in cosmetic products to adjust the pH. If the recipes you are seeing contain acidic products dissolved in water (such as amla or tea), that could be a reason for the sodium hydroxide. They would be pH-testing the product and using small drops of the NaOH solution to slowly bring up the pH to 5 or 6, which is more typical for hair products.

Since you are new to making this product, I'd suggest starting with something that doesn't contain water or acidic products, only oils and waxes. Then you don't have to worry about adjusting pH. Of course, if you are familiar with how to use a pH meter, then there are no worries. Just don't use the pH strips for testing - they are very unreliable.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Edited to add: Are you sure that the product you are seeing isn't a beard wash rather than a beard wax? A beard wash might be made as a lye-based soap that would use both NaOH and kaolin clay.

Last edited:
Sorry, I am just seeing this thread. I have never seen a beard wax that contains kaolin clay or sodium hydroxide. Can you share a full list of ingredients from these products?

Perhaps the clay is used to offset the stickiness of the wax? I'm not sure, but would agree with you that it seems to be an unnecessary addition to a beard wax.

Sometimes an NaOh solution is used in cosmetic products to adjust the pH. If the recipes you are seeing contain acidic products dissolved in water (such as amla or tea), that could be a reason for the sodium hydroxide. They would be pH-testing the product and using small drops of the NaOH solution to slowly bring up the pH to 5 or 6, which is more typical for hair products.

Since you are new to making this product, I'd suggest starting with something that doesn't contain water or acidic products, only oils and waxes. Then you don't have to worry about adjusting pH. Of course, if you are familiar with how to use a pH meter, then there are no worries. Just don't use the pH strips for testing - they are very unreliable.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Edited to add: Are you sure that the product you are seeing isn't a beard wash rather than a beard wax? A beard wash might be made as a lye-based soap that would use both NaOH and kaolin clay.
Hi Alioop,

I would like to share with you the screen shot of the photo i clicked of the beard wax.

Bringing the pH level to the mark, i never heard/read that Naoh is used. Thank you , this is new to me that drops of lye solution is used to bring the pH level adjusted.

Yes, am sure, am referring to beard wax and the list of ingredients am sharing is that of the beard wax.

Attachments

• IMG_20221123_080250.jpg
    IMG_20221123_080250.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Hi Alioop,

I would like to share with you the screen shot of the photo i clicked of the beard wax.

Bringing the pH level to the mark, i never heard/read that Naoh is used. Thank you , this is new to me that drops of lye solution is used to bring the pH level adjusted.

Yes, am sure, am referring to beard wax and the list of ingredients am sharing is that of the beard wax.
The first ingredient is water (aqua). In this case, @AliOop is correct; the NaOH is being used as a pH adjuster.

That list helps, and I agree with @Misschief that NaOh is being used to adjust pH a bit higher, probably because of the water, lactic acid, and apple cider vinegar, at least. If the product were too alkaline, then citric acid would most often be used to lower it.

I recognize the ingredient names but haven't worked with many of them, so I wouldn't be much help with creating a dupe of this wax. You mentioned looking on Swift Crafty Monkey earlier, and that would be a great place to learn more about the ingredients if needed. HumblebeeandMe.com also has a pretty good ingredient encyclopedia that is easier to search, but may not include everything in this list. Good luck!

That list helps, and I agree with @Misschief that NaOh is being used to adjust pH a bit higher, probably because of the water, lactic acid, and apple cider vinegar, at least. If the product were too alkaline, then citric acid would most often be used to lower it.

I recognize the ingredient names but haven't worked with many of them, so I wouldn't be much help with creating a dupe of this wax. You mentioned looking on Swift Crafty Monkey earlier, and that would be a great place to learn more about the ingredients if needed. HumblebeeandMe.com also has a pretty good ingredient encyclopedia that is easier to search, but may not include everything in this list. Good luck!
Sure, thank you, 🙏, its a great help.

The sodium hydroxide might also be used to neutralize (activate) the acrylate copolymer.

Every ingredient after and including the phenoxyethanaol would be less than 1%.

HTH

The sodium hydroxide might also be used to neutralize (activate) the acrylate copolymer.

Every ingredient after and including the phenoxyethanaol would be less than 1%.

HTH
Hi, i thought the same except the water, which should be between 75-80% of the total

Back