Men's FO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber123

Reaction score
I want to make a generic universal soap for all the men in my family and life and wanted to see what you guys recommend that on average most guys find appealing. I know they mostly like an Irish Spring kind of scent.

That's difficult!
I found this recipe for Irish Spring scent on-line:

10 drops Rosemary essential oil
8 drops lemongrass essential oil
2 drops of Rose-Geranium essential oil
1 - 2 drops of Lavender essential oil.

Favorites of the men I know, include:
- Black café vetivert (Jo Malone Dupe)
- Green Tweed
- Captivate
- Bay Rum and
- Calvin Klein dupe of "Eternity"
:)

In my experience, the men don't actually seem to enjoy the "manly" scents. I made a "man" soap - a camo soap scented with a fragrace called Sexy Man. The women snapped it up! Vanilla seems to be the main favorite of men, followed by peppermint.

In my experience, the men don't actually seem to enjoy the "manly" scents. I made a "man" soap - a camo soap scented with a fragrace called Sexy Man. The women snapped it up! Vanilla seems to be the main favorite of men, followed by peppermint.

So true!
Men tend to have a "sweet tooth" for soaps as well. :D
My son's friends always snatched the "Rock star" soaps away.
And most women love the manly scents - which they should, because they're happy when their Beau smells gorgeous. :D

cool water dupe
aqua di gio dupe
cool citrus basil
tea tree mixed with something else

Of all the mens soaps I made first time around, Bay Rum was a true winner, not just men, women too.
Not BB one, Sweatcakes and Lebermuth versions.

I'm reading lots of good things about bay rum...my guy crowds are outdoorsy blue collar type guys and I think this could appeal to them.

Thanks everyone!

I'm really excited I'm going to a soap supply store as part of my vacation this weekend! :) I hope I bring enough money to buy all the scents! :)

My top selling mens fragrances are Perfect Man & Teakwood & Cardamom (NG) and Bay Rum (WSP) hands down. However my dragon's blood sells to more women then men.

My hubby's fav is a blend I did with tobacco bay leaf from bb, sandalwood vanilla from wsp, and dark patchouli from nda. I named it Jack Bauer after the tv show 24 - a manly man. Lol!

My husband likes American cream (Lu$h dupe). He won't have anything else. :) When I ran out or new bars still cure he might have vanilla, pine, spices FO.
He and everyone in the house hated Bay rum (from WSP). I can't see the hype about it to be honest. My brother and other boys in the family like whatever, they don't mind the fragrance, it can even be floral. My brother even likes lavander. :D I don't sell but can only speak from experience with family members.

My hubby hates showering with anything foody or floral smelling, but instead loves those that smell fresh/clean, ozony or manly. Some of his absolute favorites are Salty Sailor, Ahoy Matey, Old Spice, Santa's Pipe, Masculine Musk, and Soapy Clean. He's not terribly keen about showering with fruity smelling soap either, but he does like Paradise from Daystar, which is a sparkling lime scent.

My 20 year old son, on the other hand, loves to shower with everything I make except for my floral scented soaps (not too keen on those). His absolute faves are the fruity scented soaps. He especially goes ga-ga over Mango Tea and my blend of black raspberry vanilla/paradise. As for manly scents, his favorite of those is NG's Perfect Man.

IrishLass :)

I checked with Hubby after he got out of the shower this morning - The conversation went something like this: "Honey, what did you like about the smell of the soap in the shower this morning?" - reply "I don't know, I really didn't notice". More probing.. realize he is still toweling himself off and trying to drink coffee at the same time. "Smell your arm - does it smell perfumey, clean?" reply - "I don't know (short pause as he tries to humor me). Finally he smiles and says for his first epiphany of the day- 'It smells "anti-stink" and I like it'. - Welcome to my life - lovin' every minute of it.

I made a few different kinds of soap for a friend's wedding favours. The one that got snatched up by all the guys was deadly weapon from Saffire Blue. I've even used it a few times, I can't explain the " complexity" of it... I think my boyfriends exact words were "it smells like god". Lol! I found that fairly accurate ;)

Latest posts

Back