Melting SCI temp?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaG

Reaction score
I really really hate sci noodles. They require far too much pressure to create a solid shampoo bar and it falls apart too easily. I still have some left so I want to melt it to make smoother bars. I must be googling wrong because I can't find exactly information on what temperature will melt it.

Next time, I buy SCI powder.

I really really hate sci noodles. They require far too much pressure to create a solid shampoo bar and it falls apart too easily. I still have some left so I want to melt it to make smoother bars. I must be googling wrong because I can't find exactly information on what temperature will melt it.

Next time, I buy SCI powder.
Just put them in a grinder (wear a mask) and grind them into powder. That's what i do - way cheaper than buying the powder. Noodles take forever to melt.

You're dissolving the SCI in a solvent (like dissolving sugar in water) You're not melting it (like ice melting into water).

It's as much about the liquid you use for the solvent as it is the temperature. You can apparently even dissolve SCI at room temp if you do it right (see article link below).

Susan (Swift Crafty Monkey) explains it better than I can -- A few thoughts on how to work with and melt SCI and how to create a double boiler – Point of Interest
I add to my powder to already melted alcohols and then stir it over a double boiler until it 'melts' in. You can certainly notice a difference when it's 'melted' or otherwise dispersed through, because it changes consistency from a stiff dough to a runny batter.

Last edited:
I have a nutri-bullet type thing that comes with two different blades. One for mixing drinks etc, and one for grinding coffee, grains etc. You might be able to just use the regular blade in your blender - make sure it seals tight because the SCI dust goes everywhere - keeps animals and children out.

I make my shampoo bars with both powder and noodles and just put my dry ingredients into my stand mixer and turn it on low for a bit while I measure my liquid stuff. buy the time I add my melted ingredients the noodles are pretty much nonexistent?

I make my shampoo bars with both powder and noodles and just put my dry ingredients into my stand mixer and turn it on low for a bit while I measure my liquid stuff. buy the time I add my melted ingredients the noodles are pretty much nonexistent?
Whew, I can't imagine the dust.

I have a nutri-bullet type thing that comes with two different blades. One for mixing drinks etc, and one for grinding coffee, grains etc. You might be able to just use the regular blade in your blender - make sure it seals tight because the SCI dust goes everywhere - keeps animals and children out.
Do you think a blender would work? I have an extra one we don't use.

I have an old coffee grinder that the tip of one blade broke off. I grind my noodles in that. Like @violets2217, I let the dust settle a bit and tap the top of the grinder a few times before I decant into my mixing bowl. And I cover the grinder and bowl with a towel while decanting. It's a little awkward when I'm scraping the last part out of the grinder, but I think that takes care of most of the dust.

All good options for you here ^ @MelissaG. It also does not have to be a blender "you don't use" because it can be washed out afterwards and used for food if you wish. It's not different to us washing our dishes in dishwashing liquid or the dishwasher - it's the same active ingredient. Just make sure they are well rinsed.

I put a towel over the mixer and let it go! Not too bad, plus I let it settle before I remove towel.
I was wondering if anyone else does that. That's how I make my bombs. Otherwise the air is full of baking soda and it's all over me too. What attachment do you use?

All good options for you here ^ @MelissaG. It also does not have to be a blender "you don't use" because it can be washed out afterwards and used for food if you wish. It's not different to us washing our dishes in dishwashing liquid or the dishwasher - it's the same active ingredient. Just make sure they are well rinsed.
I don't use anything I use for my business on anything else. That way I don't forget. But if the blender will work, then I'd be fine with that.

The paddle attachment is what I use to mix the shampoo bars.
That's what I use. for all of it. It's easier to get the batter off the attachment. I've been wondering if it would be a better idea to use the whipping attachment (I think that's the one) so it will mix better but I'm not sure it matters.

That's what I use. for all of it. It's easier to get the batter off the attachment. I've been wondering if it would be a better idea to use the whipping attachment (I think that's the one) so it will mix better but I'm not sure it matters.
I always use the paddle, honestly I’m afraid it’s going to bend or damage the whisk attachment in some way, because I mix it all in my metal bowl & it’s gets pretty stiff/ thick after adding melted ingredients.

I tried melting my sci noodles tonight. It didn't work. I made a mistake and tried to nuke them and it melted the container. I still have a couple lbs of sci noodles left and I don't want to waste anything. Now I'm looking for a grinder. I'm moving to powdered asap though.

Back