Melting Oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamagirl

Reaction score
So far, I have made 4 batches of soap. When I make them, I add all my oils to a plastic dollar tree mixing bowl and melt them in the microwave. Today, I started to wonder if this was the best idea? The reason I do it that way, is to keep all my soaping supplies separate (my OCD mind doesn't want to use any of my cooking stuff for soap- even if it is stainless and supposed to be ok).

So far, I have made 4 batches of soap. When I make them, I add all my oils to a plastic dollar tree mixing bowl and melt them in the microwave. Today, I started to wonder if this was the best idea? The reason I do it that way, is to keep all my soaping supplies separate (my OCD mind doesn't want to use any of my cooking stuff for soap- even if it is stainless and supposed to be ok).

Pretty much what I do, but I use plastic paint containers from Home Depot.

+1 on paint buckets in the microwave. Just noticed that some of mine are cracking from age and use, so keep an eye.

For what it's worth, this is my favorite soaping bowl. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ANY6UW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 It doesn't look like it would be all that steady, but it has a nice gripping bottom and hasn't even tried to tip on me.

I microwave all of mine, and after several years of use my old ones were starting to crack, leaving me fearing a break while in the microwave or a handle breaking off while moving the bowl. What a mess either would be!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I do the same Bamagirl, melting oils in microwave in dollar tree plastic bowls. I'm just careful to hold the handle and the bottom of the bowl with 4lbs of oil! I also use the same bowls to make my lye. I have the red bowls for that. Keep in mind that I use frozen gm for my lye so the red bowl doesn't get scary hot.

Sounds like you're destined to be a champion soaper Bamagirl! :)

Your method is just fine, but just in case, for whatever reason, you can't use your plastic bowl, know that for years I've been using a stainless stock pot as my soap pot, and a stainless saucepan to mix my lye, and I use both of them, (well washed of course) for food all the time with no ill effects. I would not do this with any material that's porous, but stainless is fine.

I nuke all my hard oils in the microwave inside of $1 painter buckets from Home Depot. Like other folks mentioned, they work a treat. I add my oils that are liquid at room temperature afterwards to quickly cool down everything .

Back