MELT and pour soap crumbles after few uses

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may need to add some softer m&p to it like goat's milk or another moisturizing base or oils, shea butter while making it. Which base are you using?

Am using both plain as well as goat milk and both crumbles..
Am keeping my soaps at a very a place which is very hot, can that be a reason?

Ok, is it a dry environment or humid? It can be drying out too fast from the high heat, typically it will melt thought. M&P will absorb the moisture from the air and create what's called "sweating", the moisture sits on the soap as lil water drops. I would suggest adding soft butters and/or oils to it, make sure it stays wrapped except for when you're using a bar. M&P has to be completely wrapped unless it's a bar you're currently using. Otherwise it can sweat if moisture in the air around it, or can over dry if very dry air around it.

Thanks !
In India, it's very hot, temperature is 40 and above . I understand that the soap is to be tightly wrapped and it sweats especially when it has high glycerin content...
I was just wondering if keeping it at a hot place made it so..

It can dry it out if the air is very dry, yes. If you can keep it in a cooler place, would be a very good idea too. Try adding butters/oils to it too, that will help.

If you can order bases from another supplier may be worth a try too. It can vary between manufacturers for sure. Best wishes!

How much butter or oil would you suggest , I mean what percentage
You'll have to just try it since there are so many factors...air temp/humidity level, what brand base you're using and how well it accepts additives, which butters/oils you're using, etc. Maybe try making one bar at a time with just a small amt of butter/oil added and see how it performs. Your weather is very different from the US, so it would be hard to recommend what works for here. Try a few drops of oil, or equal amt of butter or so to one bar of soap at a time.

Then if it still cracks, try adding a couple to a few more drops and try it. I've been using m&p for 15yrs, and always add my own butters/oils to it. It just requires testing on our own to see what works best in our environment, the base we use, the oils/butters we use, etc. Keep in mind, the butters are a thicker/heavier consistency than liquid oils, so they melt/dry/break down at different temps, etc. than oils do since they are already in a more solid state to start with. Try shea or mango butter instead of cocoa butter since cocoa butter is so hard in it's own natural state.

Thank you 🙏
You're welcome of course...let us know how your testing goes!! 😊

Latest posts

Back