1. We are helping test out a new project for soapmakers. Soapmaking Friend. If you are interested in providing feedback and help guide this project to include all you want to see in a recipe builder and calculator please PM an Admin or post in the Announcements forum. Your feedback is really needed!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Melt and pour packaging question.

Discussion in 'Labels and Packaging' started by Taralewis3051, Jul 28, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Jul 28, 2018 #1

Taralewis3051

Taralewis3051

Taralewis3051

Hi everyone,
    I am a melt and pour newbie. I have been making cold process soap for many years but decided to try my hand at something new. My question concerns packaging the finished soap. I know shrink wrap is the preferred method to protect the soap from humidity. I am currently making flip flop soaps. I am wondering if I can place a pair of them on a piece of cardstock and then shrink wrap them. I tried to shrink wrap a set without a base but the shrink wrap seems to pull the two bars tightly together and the package seem to bow slightly. I thought a cardstock base might be the solution but am not sure if the soap can sit directly on the cardstock during storage. Can someone please help me with this.

2. Jul 28, 2018 #2

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

I think card-stock is fine. You might have difficulty shrink wrapping around it though because of the sharp corners. You may also wind up with some staining on the card-stock from the soap.

Ive made guest soaps I wrapped two to a pack and I shrink wrapped 3 sides and then put them on a counter and held them down with my fingers and shrink wrapped the top and it helped with the bowing.

3. Jul 28, 2018 #3

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

I have found that trimming the card stock so it does not extend beyond the edges of the soap prevents the 'sharp edges' problem when shrink-wrapping. If I don't do that, I have had the shrink wrap tear at that point. - I use card stock for some of my labels & shrink-wrap around the labels. (This is with CP soap & not MP as I don't do a lot of MP so haven't actually used card stock with any as yet.)