Melt and pour just as good as cold process?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see such beautiful recipes out there. Cakes and doughnuts for example. All with
Mp. I just know anything made by us soap makers will be better than the oil of olay bar mass produced in the stores. Im in canada so rules are much different up here it seems. I never see ingredients on products at markets etc. Im not even near selling. I just want to make and give some away to our customers ( we already run a business) before i do anything further. I just want something to do.. thats my own.. not my hs.

In most countries (like here in Spain), I think soap is considered cosmetic and needs to have the ingredients labeled. USA is a huge exception when it comes to laws for cosmetic formulation in general. (No obligation to do microbial testing, etc.)
I'd also like to point out that a huge difference between M&P and CP soaps is that for the soaps to be smooth when melted, they need to have ingredients added that are avoided by many natural-minded people (like propylene glycol).
Also, many M&P "Soaps" aren't really even soap, but are instead syndet bars.
I have no problem with them (on the other hand, I don't really ever use them either) - but a lot of people don't realize it and think they are using/buying "natural soap."

The best thing about melt and pour is you can make gifts quickly if that is your aim.

I had a pig roast a couple of weeks ago and everyone got a pink peppermint pig soap. I made 50 of them in a couple of hours and everyone thought they were cute favors.

I have added shea butter, honey, oatmeal, evening primrose oil, vitamin E, retinol serum and other additives to melt and pour. I have used clays and activated charcoal. There is a lot you can do with melt and pour and all the soap I give away people like and appreciate.

I don't know about Canada but since I just give my stuff away I don't label anything. If you are gifting these to customers you may not have to label but I would make sure about that.

Just start with a good melt and pour base and let your imagination go.

I’m definitely starting off with a Mp. To much risk with the cp at this point plus it looks so finicky. I want to make designs and it seems you can do all that. I want to make this dolphin soap. I tried uploading a photo to get an idea of how it was done but the site wouldnt upload it. :(

I’m definitely starting off with a Mp. To much risk with the cp at this point plus it looks so finicky. I want to make designs and it seems you can do all that. I want to make this dolphin soap. I tried uploading a photo to get an idea of how it was done but the site wouldnt upload it. :(
Amazon has a cute dolphin molds. You can use those as embeds in a ocean looking soap.

here are some ideas to help https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/seascape-melt-pour-soap-tutorial/

https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/shark-attack-melt-pour/

I saw this on Brambleberry.
Is it possible to do a mp if you move quickly before each layer hardens?

https://www.brambleberry.com/in-the...S000181.html?cgid=3-cp_project_studio#start=4
You can do that but you need the column molds and it won't be as textured, MP makes smooth straight layers. You need to let each layer harden enough to hold the embed and be pretty solid before you can pour the next layer. I usually wait until it is at least 90 degrees or less. You need to make sure the embed is sprayed well with 91% rubbing alcohol before it is inserted and you need to spray each layer with rubbing alcohol before pouring the next.

You can do that but you need the column molds and it won't be as textured, MP makes smooth straight layers. You need to let each layer harden enough to hold the embed and be pretty solid before you can pour the next layer. I usually wait until it is at least 90 degrees or less. You need to make sure the embed is sprayed well with 91% rubbing alcohol before it is inserted and you need to spray each layer with rubbing alcohol before pouring the next.
Thank you! Another challenge im up for!

Ethically, IMO, if you own a business (even if it is not a soap making business) and you are giving away a product to your customers that you yourself make, you should definitely label in properly. Especially in Canada or any country where soap has strict regulatory requirements. I believe it is the best practice. And since you are planning to sell someday, why not start getting the labeling and packaging process in order now?

Ethically, IMO, if you own a business (even if it is not a soap making business) and you are giving away a product to your customers that you yourself make, you should definitely label in properly. Especially in Canada or any country where soap has strict regulatory requirements. I believe it is the best practice. And since you are planning to sell someday, why not start getting the labeling and packaging process in order now?
I totally agree and that is why I am so grateful that you guys gave me that link to that label site and that paper site they are going to be very useful! ☺️☺️ Since my nursing career was taken away I’ve been very depressed just knowing that I have something for me makes me very happy this is the best thing I found in a very long time to be able to Make people smile again.

I usually do CP soap. But had a request for M&P one day. Being focused on health... I started researching & was VERY discouraged with the discovery of all the chemicals that most M&P had in them. But T H E N I discovered that BB & WSSP (& a couple other resources) ALSO offer a Clear PG Free Soap Base! And it has far less of the other M&P chemicals in it too! So IDK if it was THAT particular chemical (PG) - or all the other ones that bar also omits - but the customers I have that seem to be allergic (or react) to the regular M&P soaps could use it without a problem! So I thought that was a COOL discovery (& worth sharing)! :)
ps - I LOVE THIS GROUP! :D

I usually do CP soap. But had a request for M&P one day. Being focused on health... I started researching & was VERY discouraged with the discovery of all the chemicals that most M&P had in them. But T H E N I discovered that BB & WSSP (& a couple other resources) ALSO offer a Clear PG Free Soap Base! And it has far less of the other M&P chemicals in it too! So IDK if it was THAT particular chemical (PG) - or all the other ones that bar also omits - but the customers I have that seem to be allergic (or react) to the regular M&P soaps could use it without a problem! So I thought that was a COOL discovery (& worth sharing)! :)
What is wssp? Im a newbie..

Found this as well

https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Glycerin-Melt-Pour-Organic/dp/B00BSYDOJQ

Here's my silly analogy of CP vs. MP... CP is like the blank canvas of soapmaking. You start with nothing but your raw ingredients and beginning from scratch, you make soap (ie: Paint your picture on that blank canvas). MP is like those beautiful coloring books you see, where the picture has already been drawn for you, but now it's up to you to color it in, use your creativity to tranform it into something beautifully unique. Which method is right for you just depends on what type of artist you'd like to be (blank canvas vs. starting with a foundation), and many times, the type of artist you choose to be, later evolves into exploring other methods! I started out making CP & RTCP, which evolved into piping & making soap frosting for hightop soaps, which evolved into CPOP (well, actually, CPOP was just something I always did with most of my "low top" batches), which evolved into HP, which evolved into SBHP/SJHP, which evolved into making my own MP bases (MP bases are made via HP, just with an added step), which evolved into MP... My point is, I truly love ALL methods of soapmaking (and employ all of them regularly), and even though each one is uniquely different from the others, the end result is the same: A great bar of handmade soap that you're proud of! That's what soapmaking is about, and there's no "better" or "superior" method... It's whatever gives you the end result that YOU want... A finished product that brings you joy & a feeling of accomplishment! That being said, I've never felt a MP soap that felt like CP, HP, etc. MP is uniquely MP, and there's nothing wrong with that! Even "LCP" ("Like Cold Process") MP bases, are still unmistakably MP, but I've met a lot of INCREDIBLE MP soap artists in my day who's soaps were positively FANTASTIC! And I can truly say that about ALL methods of soapmaking too... I've been lucky enough to have met some really amazing artisans who excell in their craft & preferred soapmaking method(s)! So my best advice would be to read up on all soapmaking methods (each have their own very unique processes), and find that one that speaks to the kind of soap artist that you want to be! Start there, but know that you're not limited to staying there if something else appeals to you later. Soak up as much knowledge as you possibly can, become a sponge, and surround yourself with fellow crafters who will take you under their wing (there's SO MANY of those wonderful folks out there!). Many begin with MP because it really IS great for beginners! All MP bases are NOT created equal though, and some work better, or are better suited, for different things. For example, the MP base I make & use for making smaller embeds that will adorn the tops of bigger CP bars, isn't the base I'd want to use for a full MP loaf, where I may need it to stay more fluid & workable for a longer period of time). So if you decide MP is the best starting point for you, experiment with different bases until you find the one(s) that works best for your specific needs, and produce the results you want. And then get ready for the addiction, because HOLY MOLY, does it becomes ADDICTING! Best of luck to you on your soapmaking journey! You'll do great at whatever you set your mind to!
You covered it all very well. My daughter is epileptic with rheumatoid arthritis and it simply was not safe for her to make lye-based soap. She used several different bases and even mixed some to get the feel and look she wanted. She created some very gorgeous soaps that took much more time than my cp soap. She used very good bases and some worked better for my eczema and for her than my soaps and I use very little CO or PKO. Not everyone can use lye based soaps. Soap is a wash off that is not going to be on the skin long enough to absorb. Remember our skin is a great barrier. I love mp soaps as much as my soaps. When my daughter was selling she went through over a ton of soap base, and that was just the soap base from Essentials by Catalina. She also purchased from a few others. In So Cal where I live we have a company that makes gorgeous mp and gel candles. They even have several patents relating to the products they make. So the mp soap business can be lucrative. I just do not have the patience to fuss with it. As for using different bases, she worked for almost a year trying to perfect her marshmallow soaps. and finally found out only one base worked. FYI B&B tried to copy her marshmallow and their recipe is nowhere near my daughters. So there can be reasons to use more than one base.

I have never understood the issue with propylene glycol. It acts as a humectant. It is put in antifreeze because it will not kill animals if they drink it as the old antifreeze did. It makes a safer antifreeze. It is also used in foods to help retain moisture and flavor.

Last edited:
The only thing you *may* have issues with in MP is swirls, which have to be done at low temp, with reheating. Watch the flashpoints if you are using fragrance or essential oils for scent.

The only thing you *may* have issues with in MP is swirls, which have to be done at low temp, with reheating. Watch the flashpoints if you are using fragrance or essential oils for scent.
I’m watching videos on how to do itp swirls. Id like a wave for the dolphin mold.. this video shows closest for that. It seems put three different soaps in three different buckets.. put in your colours.. then transfer it to one bucket then to the mold. basically i think youd have to move quickly before the mold starts to harden. But it could be done i think..

This is a really good example of a big difference between m&p and CP: this video is of CP and would be next to impossible in m&p. Stick with M&p' strengths, such as solid, straight lines. Have you made many M&P loaves yet, to get a feel for them?

I like a challenge so I think I will try this with an MP ..
nope not yet. I’m trying to pin down the best thermometer the best tools the best cake moulds ..

Back