Melt and Pour Help Hotline

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Tabitha, that was quite comforting to know I am not the only one who has M&P frustrations like that. I will have to learn to chill a little! :)

Incrtalent, your mold question about sharp edges - I've seen some silicone and urethane molds with a lip on the edge over the pour space that softens up sharp edges on the flat side. But to get something you want, the way you want it, you sometimes have to either make your own silicone mold or have someone custom make one for you.

If you are useing a microwave I believe the most you will b able to melt at 1 time is 4#, but you could juggle (,5,6,4) 4 pound cups all at the same time. You can melt much more at once if you use a double boiler but your melt time would be slower.

This is like anything else, the more you do it, the more efficient you will become at it.

As for shipping, USPS charges by the pound. You can go to usps.com and enter random numbers, zips & pounds & get a feel for things. 1# priority mail is $4.60 (I think) right now. Additional pounds are determined by distance, if they are nearby extra pounds might be $1.00ea, if it's the opposite coastline it may be $2.00 per extra pound. There are 2 different flat rate boxes available that ship for about $9.00 no matter how much you stuff in them. I can stuff 24, 4oz jars in a flat rate box whilch is a real money saver.

On the USPS website you can also order free priority boxes to be delivered in bulk to your home. You may ONLY use the boxes for priority packages, if you ship parcel you must provide your own boxes.

You will need to buy a postal scale so you can quote your customers a shipping price unless you want to box it, go to the PO, come home, tell you customer how much shipping is & go from there which is a lot of extra work.

Why are you putting your soap in the freezer. are you in that much of a hurry? A 4 cup measuring cup is plenty for pouring alot of MP soap. As far as using a presto pot with a spigot yes the spigot wil clog up. and I would not use the same presto that I used for candlewax for lotion ingredients. that is qute unsanitary no matter how you thinkyou cleaned it.

Well...um. Yes. I am in quite a hurry, actually! The freezer helps the soaps set up in about 10 minutes, whereas leaving them out would take all day. Since I have an extremely limited number of molds and need to make a heck of a lot of soap, seems to work for me! Of course, when I start making MORE soap and get MORE molds, I think I'm probably going to have to pop the molds into a drying rack or some such. Just don't know where to turn one up; or perhaps I'll have to make something. We'll see! :)

I pop mine in the freezer, it is efficient, timely & a gentler release for intricate soap designs. Room temp M&P soaps are difficult to get out of the mold . When you freeze the soap it shrinks, when you bring the mold out of the freezer the plastic expands allowing for a gentler release. You will be less likely to *dinged* mold details when the soap is firmer & the release is gentler.

Lucy said:
Why are you putting your soap in the freezer. are you in that much of a hurry? A 4 cup measuring cup is plenty for pouring alot of MP soap. As far as using a presto pot with a spigot yes the spigot wil clog up. and I would not use the same presto that I used for candlewax for lotion ingredients. that is qute unsanitary no matter how you thinkyou cleaned it.

Lucy, why do you think it is "unsanitary" to use a presto pot to melt hard oils, butters and fats in for making CP soap, or even lotions and creams that are Oil In Water, or Water In Oil emulsification's? Is not even soy wax used to make soap? I have used 100% soy candle wax in soap when I first started. I still would if I did not have other better recipes. I use the same Presto pot to melt my oils in as I did my candle soy wax. I bet I've melted many tens of gallons of hard oils, butters, and fats it it for both CP and lotions, using better cleaning for lotions and creams. I wipe it out every time with a paper towel, and since it is Teflon coated inside, it wipes clean easily. Every time I use it to melt CP soap oils, I spray the inside with 92% alcohol and wipe out again, very well. When I melt oils for lotions and creams. I take it to the kitchen and wash it with soap and hot water scrubbing very well, then give it a bleach rinse, and alcohol spritz again before using. I don't understand your reasoning about this method being that unclean, and stating; "that is quite unsanitary no matter how you think you cleaned it." Why Lucy? :?: Please explain why this is unsanitary for me to do it as I just explained. :? :?:

Paul....:)

and I would not use the same presto that I used for candlewax for lotion ingredients. that is qute unsanitary no matter how you thinkyou cleaned it.
Where did this come from?

While you have a right to express your opinion Lucy, screaming fire in a crowded theater is still a crime & insulting or defaming anyone on this board is still against policy.

Wow! This is kind of like having a bunch of big sisters and brothers! Ha! You guys are a riot. I feel thoroughly safe in this neighborhood!

Incrtalent said:
Wow! This is kind of like having a bunch of big sisters and brothers! Ha! You guys are a riot. I feel thoroughly safe in this neighborhood!

We want everyone to learn in a friendly, safe environment! We want everyone to feel free to express ideas, question what they are learning and let us rectify any problems our members are having, all while feeling they won't be humiliated. We are all newbies at once and I know there can be some wrong info out there. That is why we moderators have a lot of experience in both CP and M&P. We watch all posts closely and monitor regularly. If someone steps out of line, they are first gently told what they need to do to rectify the situation. If a person continues to disregard the warnings, more serious consequences may occur. We want everyone here to feel a part of the community, even have different opinions, but respectful of others rights and ideals! That is why we love it here! It's safe.

Paul....:)
Mod Team Member

Tabitha said:
and I would not use the same presto that I used for candlewax for lotion ingredients. that is qute unsanitary no matter how you thinkyou cleaned it.
Where did this come from?

While you have a right to express your opinion Lucy, screaming fire in a crowded theater is still a crime & insulting or defaming anyone on this board is still against policy.

I am sorry it was not meant to defame. I just know that makeing lotion calls for very high sanitation. I said no thing about soap or cream just lotion

I do not come here too much but I too have been sent threats in PM because I dont agree with some things.

Getting PMed by a mod(s) is not a threat it is a warning regarding appropriate forum etiquette . It/they were not sent because you disagree but because you attempt to belittle other people and their choices.

If you have received a threatening pm from a member please PM a mod and we will handle it for you.

There was no need to bring this dead thread back up. It has been 10 days since anyone has posted to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back