Melt and pour glitch, not sticky or tacky, but dry?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonCearley

Reaction score
I bought several sample blocks of melt and pour from a good supplier.
I melt the base and pour in mold. I've tried it with scents and coloring, and I've tried it just the base.

Problem is that although the soaps really look great, when I test the soaps at home, I am disgusted.
Yes, most lather up well, but then comes the glitch.

I wouldn't say it's exactly a sticky feel, or even tacky, but it's more like extreme dryness.
Maybe, almost like tacky, but for example, if I try to rub my hands together, my hands feel so dry that they won't slide against each other.
Feels gross to me. I'm used to using liquid soap.
If you people make melt and pour like mine, I feel sorry for your family. LOL.
I've read lots of forums and I have yet to come across this issue.
I assumed my problem was too much scent, until I tried it today without scent or coloring.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Oh, yeah, and after the soaps sit in the shower a few days, they get really dry and are usually thrown out.

Help? :oops:

Hi Ron... I thought you were "somthing else" when you joined..

welcome..

ummm

Im not a melt & pour person.. someone will come and help you

well i think you should try another base.. sounds like a bad base.. you shouldnt let M&P soap sit in water.. it will dissolve.. you need a soap dish for it to dry.

smellitlikeitis said:

welcome..

ummm

Huh?
I just joined.
Am I something else?

smellitlikeitis said:
well i think you should try another base.. sounds like a bad base.. you shouldnt let M&P soap sit in water.. it will dissolve.. you need a soap dish for it to dry.

It'd better not be bad soap base. I have 26 pounds of base, 13 different kinds from NG.

I just tried the Mango in the shower, same problem. So then I had to wash with the liquid soap.

Soap dish, ok, dry it out. ok, not a problem.

But it's when I bathe with it. That's when I feel dry. LOL.
Maybe I'm just special.

soapbuddy said:
It depends who the "good supplier" is.

I have used MP for my business for many years and never had that problem.

Irena

Oh, no. Don't even tell me that.
Nature's Garden.

Awh, dang, did I get junk?
I've had no complaints with their candle waxes or scents.

look at the ingredients.. maybe its something in the base that is drying your skin out.

Also.. I thought you were a spammer when you joined.. lol.. sorry about that.. we have those running around from time to time.

smellitlikeitis said:

welcome..

ummm

Not a melt and pour...that sounded funny after I thought about it.

Sounds like you're not a romantic.

:roll:

Im a Cold Process, Hot Process, RTCP soaper..

I think i did M&P for a week and didnt like it.. so I adventured off into the soap world..

yes,

I agree with Irena.. some suppliers dont check the base they carry

NG is a good supplier. I have never used their base though. Let me go look at the site & see if I can recognize it's source.

hey there Ron!! Welcome to the site, I do M&P, I get great supplies from Wholesalesuppliesplus.com. i haven't had a problem with their Goats Milk Soap Base! They have great prices as well!

I don't know who is manufaturing that soap for them. They are not making their own & I don't recognize the source. Here are the ingrdeients w/ their common names & usage:

Glycerin,
Propylene Glycol, derivative of natural gas used in deodorants, pharmaceuticals, lotions, and some dairy products.
Sodium Stearate,
Sodium Laureth Sulfate-(SLS)-foaming agent & known to be an allergen
Sorbital, -moisturizer from berries
Coconut Oil,
Sodium Myristatefoaming agent
Triethanolamine (TEA) Made from ammonia &ethyl alcohol.
Sodium Laurate - mild foaming agent
Sodium Cocoate - saponified coconut oil
Purified Water

The only time I have had soap w/ similar qualities is when I over cooked it. If you melt & remelt the same bar/base several time it will get like that or if you zap the heck out of it in the microwave.

How long did you heat?
How much?
For how long?

:) Hi Ron, welcome to the SMF site! Glad you found us! I'm not a M&P guy, but, like smellitlikeitis, I only do CP, mainly RTCP. Can't help you on the M&P issue, have never melted a pound, just wanted to say hello!

Paul.... :wink:

Hey Tab, could it be the TEA ingredient thats drying him out?

I didnt know you could over heat Melt&Pour interesting... learn something new everyday...

Tabitha said:
The only time I have had soap w/ similar qualities is when I over cooked it. If you melt & remelt the same bar/base several time it will get like that or if you zap the heck out of it in the microwave.

How long did you heat?
How much?
For how long?

I did microwave it, until it melted.
Maybe I'd better look at that more carefully.

Actually, I'll try it in the soap kettle and see if that makes a difference. :oops:

I use a microwave & find a pound takes about 50 seconds to a minute while 4oz takes only 20 seconds. Over heating it a little won't cause a problem, If you zap a pound for 5 minutes, you will have a problem.

I am afraid I am not much of a chemist, I do not know of TEA could be the culprit or not. Don't know enough about it. None of the other BIG suppliers have TEA or Propylene Glycol in the bases though & by big I mean the suppliers that supply the wholesalers we all use.

Back