Melt and pour bases for sensitive skin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarofdreams

Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking for a decent melt and pour base for sensitive skin. I was previously recommended this oatmeal base:
https://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/products/signature-oatmeal-mp-soap-base-2-lb-tray.aspx on this forum

But it does have SLS, which the common consensus seems to deem an irritant, and it's often made of palm oil, which is linked with deforestation, so I'm also considering this detergent-free option: Crafters Choice™ Detergent Free Oatmeal MP Soap - 2 lb Tray - Wholesale Supplies Plus

I'm wondering if anyone has tried this version, or if anyone has any other recommendations for soap bases :)

I've heard that SLS in small quantities isn't that bad, and I know that "ethical consumption" is more complicated than that, but I'm just trying to do my best and always learn more.

UPDATE: In case anyone wants to know, I went for that detergent-free oatmeal base and I'm quite pleased! I made some melt and pour with no additives and it lathers perfectly, and my skin is very happy so far. I also made a batch with half detergent-free and half regular with added essential oils, and I honestly can't tell much difference between the lathers and gentleness of the two batches. But I won't be using the scented batch on my most sensitive areas.

EDIT: I also want to mention that it smells amazing! The unscented one just has a bland oatmeal smell, but the other one... I added 4 drops of tea tree and 7 drops of lemongrass essential oils to a pound of base, and the end result smells like straight up lemon cookies.

Last edited:
All i know as a beginner is that sls & sles free melt & pour is the best for sensitive skin. Ive read that a donkey milk soap base is extra-moisturising, and that chamomile essential oil is good for sensitive skin, but other things ive read say to avoid essential oils altogether because it can irritate sensitive skin.

UPDATE: In case anyone wants to know, I went for that detergent-free oatmeal base and I'm quite pleased! I made some melt and pour with no additives and it lathers perfectly, and my skin is very happy so far. I also made a batch with half detergent-free and half regular with added essential oils, and I honestly can't tell much difference between the lathers and gentleness of the two batches. But I won't be using the scented batch on my most sensitive areas.

EDIT: I also want to mention that it smells amazing! The unscented one just has a bland oatmeal smell, but the other one... I added 4 drops of tea tree and 7 drops of lemongrass essential oils to a pound of base, and the end result smells like straight up lemon cookies.
I have also found that the detergent free Baby Buttermilk and detergent free Goat’s Milk are good for people with sensitive skin. Both unscented are great for face soaps.

Back