Melt and Pour base

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhonywalker4090

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good book or somewhere I can find a good melt and pour base recipe. I only just learned from reading on here that there are better ones then what I can buy from my local craft stores. Also I would like to know a good book on cp as it's something I'm interested in. I will just have to find time to do that with out my kids around.
Thank you in advance.

As far as a good MP base, go for SFIC. They sell it at brambleberry, bulk apothecary and if you just want to try it out you can even get a pound or two off of amazon.

If you want to try CP soap, I suggest reading through some threads here in the beginners forum. I dont have a book to recommend for you though...

Here is a book I love. It gives lots of good ideas for using M&P base. I get most of my M&P base from Wholesale Supplies Plus.

Soapmaking the Natural Way: 45 Melt-and-Pour Recipes Using Herbs, Flowers & Essential by Rebeccan Ittner

I third reading this forum. I learned more here when I started (still learn a lot) than from any book. Plus as TEG said you can ask questions here.

Welcome to the forum!

I'll parrot what other folks have said.

If you want to make M&P, the SFIC bases are pretty nice. You can buy them from Brambleberry (or a bunch of other places, but that's where I get mine). I wouldn't start out trying to make my own M&P base from scratch as it's a little complicated.

If you want to make CP, the forum is a great place to learn and ask questions. Try reading through the stickies on the beginner forum and the last few pages... before making soap. If you're a visual person, Soaping101 on youtube has a series of videos that are excellent at showing things. They build on one another, so start with the earliest ones first. I'm not a huge fan of the actual recipes she uses, but it's a great starting point.

Safety first: use googles; use gloves; don't use Pyrex or other glass; don't use vinegar on burns!

Welcome to the addiction.

Vinegar?

Why would anyone use vinegar to treat a burn? With some chem. burns you would flush it with cool water. But other wise its rap them in a clean sterile dressing and depending on the severity of the burn get to the hospital.

Lye is a heavy base and vinegar an acid, so some people think it best to neutralize the lye. But of course it causes a lot of heat, so it is actually better, as you say, to dilute and wash the lye away with plain water, reducing the heat.

I should have mentioned why I, ummm, mentioned it. You'll see folks in books or in videos disregarding all of those safety measures. Sometimes all at once.

I should have mentioned why I, ummm, mentioned it. You'll see folks in books or in videos disregarding all of those safety measures. Sometimes all at once.

^^^^ I was thinking this earlier - here on the forum if someone says something that is wrong, there are other people to help set things straight. A book can be riddled with misinformation that the reader takes as gospel, as it is in a published soaping book

Back