Quantcast

Melt and Pour base

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Jhonywalker4090

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good book or somewhere I can find a good melt and pour base recipe. I only just learned from reading on here that there are better ones then what I can buy from my local craft stores. Also I would like to know a good book on cp as it's something I'm interested in. I will just have to find time to do that with out my kids around.
Thank you in advance.

galaxyMLP

SPONSOR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as a good MP base, go for SFIC. They sell it at brambleberry, bulk apothecary and if you just want to try it out you can even get a pound or two off of amazon.

If you want to try CP soap, I suggest reading through some threads here in the beginners forum. I dont have a book to recommend for you though...

lsg

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Here is a book I love. It gives lots of good ideas for using M&P base. I get most of my M&P base from Wholesale Supplies Plus.

Soapmaking the Natural Way: 45 Melt-and-Pour Recipes Using Herbs, Flowers & Essential by Rebeccan Ittner

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I third reading this forum. I learned more here when I started (still learn a lot) than from any book. Plus as TEG said you can ask questions here.

Welcome to the forum!

snappyllama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll parrot what other folks have said.

If you want to make M&P, the SFIC bases are pretty nice. You can buy them from Brambleberry (or a bunch of other places, but that's where I get mine). I wouldn't start out trying to make my own M&P base from scratch as it's a little complicated.

If you want to make CP, the forum is a great place to learn and ask questions. Try reading through the stickies on the beginner forum and the last few pages... before making soap. If you're a visual person, Soaping101 on youtube has a series of videos that are excellent at showing things. They build on one another, so start with the earliest ones first. I'm not a huge fan of the actual recipes she uses, but it's a great starting point.

Safety first: use googles; use gloves; don't use Pyrex or other glass; don't use vinegar on burns!

Welcome to the addiction.

Jhonywalker4090

Reaction score
Vinegar?

Why would anyone use vinegar to treat a burn? With some chem. burns you would flush it with cool water. But other wise its rap them in a clean sterile dressing and depending on the severity of the burn get to the hospital.

The Efficacious Gentleman

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Lye is a heavy base and vinegar an acid, so some people think it best to neutralize the lye. But of course it causes a lot of heat, so it is actually better, as you say, to dilute and wash the lye away with plain water, reducing the heat.

snappyllama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should have mentioned why I, ummm, mentioned it. You'll see folks in books or in videos disregarding all of those safety measures. Sometimes all at once.

The Efficacious Gentleman

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I should have mentioned why I, ummm, mentioned it. You'll see folks in books or in videos disregarding all of those safety measures. Sometimes all at once.

^^^^ I was thinking this earlier - here on the forum if someone says something that is wrong, there are other people to help set things straight. A book can be riddled with misinformation that the reader takes as gospel, as it is in a published soaping book

Latest posts