Melt and pour ... bad smell

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosaparana

Reaction score
Hi I just started to melt and pour, and using transparent soap bars.

The smell is very strong of alcool. Is it normal? or could it be from a "bad" company?

It overcomes the frangrances.

many thanks from a newbie

The soap base I got from WSP smelled strongly of alcohol to me, but after I melted it and added FO I didn't notice it.

Where do you get your fragrances from?

If I were you, I'd try adding some essential oil to it and see if that doesn't cover of the smell. Essential oil is alot stronger than regular fragrance oil, so don't add more than 1 teaspoon per pound (or 2 teaspoons per kilo). If you let melt and pour base get too hot for example boil, it will ruin the base.

Another thing you can do is just contact the company directly and ask why this is happening. I noticed there is a "Fale conosco" button that gives you some email addresses, send an email to the Qualidade department.

Unfortunately, I don't know what else to tell you, since I haven't had that much experience, and the bases I buy haven't had any alcohol smell. Hope this helps a little.

Many thanks to all of you :D

I was trying to get some info before calling them.

The base has been warmed up no more than 80° celsius (below boiling point) , we stirred it for some time at this temperature in order to get rid of the alcool, the soap came out nice and smooth BUT lost its transparence :?

Now I've read that clear soap can be produced with different kinds of alcool the usual one or sorbitol like the one you refered to in your advice.

Propylene Glycol, Sorbitol, Glycerin, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Myristate, Sodium Laurate, Triethanolamine, Water.

The one we used
Propilenoglicol, , Álcool etílico, Glicerina bidestilada, Lauril eter sulfato de sódio, Sacarose, EDTA tetrassódico e Água deionisada

underlined also seem to be differents

I think we should look for a base made with sorbitol ....

Anybody has any experience with "extra clear" base? In the brasilian site they state that it is harder than the other bases

THANKS AGAIN :D TO ALL OF YOU

I would not use a base that smells you should not have to try & cover it up. You deserve an odorless base, I just do not know of any sources in your area.

Tabitha said:
I would not use a base that smells you should not have to try & cover it up. You deserve an odorless base, I just do not know of any sources in your area.

it is our first test ...

"...lost its transparence..."

Did you add a fragrance? Fragrance can cause base to be cloudy. If the fragrance contains any traces of vanilla, the vanilla can case the soap to look like mud.

Tabitha said:
"...lost its transparence..."

Did you add a fragrance? Fragrance can cause base to be cloudy. If the fragrance contains any traces of vanilla, the vanilla can case the soap to look like mud.

thanks, we just had a bad experience with coloring, they sold us food coloring which "vanished" after a few days, so the nice pastel color just gone :?

a lot of lack of professionalism around here :?

we tryed another base and it was really better than the first one

Back