Melt and pour additives

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok so considering soaping was supposed to be my daughters hobby I'm finding myself getting more and more hooked!

She has been doing well with basic melt and pour, just adding colour and fragrance for the moment and while what she makes is lovely I find it very drying on the skin.

She is already using a SLS / SLES free base and it's a triple butter one with Shea, mango and cocoa butter in it. However looking at the ingredients these are less than 1% of the ingredients.

Which led me to wonder. Could you add additional moisture to melt and pour? Perhaps by meting some extra Shea butter in or adding some jojoba oil and vitamin E to it?

I was also toying with the idea of the goats milk base I have seen but don't know much about milk soaps so wasn't sure if it would be any less drying than the triple butter already being used.

Thanks x

I think 1 tsp. melted shea or liquid oil per pound of M&P base would be sufficient. Any more might make your bars too soft. You can dissolve 1 Tablespoon powdered goat's milk in 1 Tablespoon hot water and add that to one pound of M&P base. One of my favorite M&P tutorial books is Soapmaking the Natural Way by Rebecca Ittner. There are a lot of great recipes for M&P using additives.

Back