Medium Rare Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KudzuGoddess

Reaction score
Today I made steak soap. Completely unintentional and absolutely a dead ringer for prime rib. To be fair, I have had a great run up until now. I've only been soaping since February and in that time I have blended my own fragrances, formulated my own recipes, made some great designs - I'm due for a really spectacular disaster. Today was my day and I present the attached pictures for everyone to share in the schadenfreudian glee. The pictures feature a lovely shea butter, babassu, and olive oil soap tinted with Magic Beans Mica from Mad Micas. When I have used its mica in the past it was brown. Not today! Today it's medium-rare beef color and I have no idea why. Also, I inexplicably thought it would be a great idea to add a TD line in the middle, adding an uncanny resemblance to fat marbling which I think really makes the look. Interestingly, the Magic Beans mica on top DOES look brown giving the whole thing a lovely chargrilled exterior. I wish you all could smell this thing too! Why you may ask? Well, because it's a brand new fragrance blend, of course! Patchouli, frankincense, black pepper, and geranium essential oils blended with "fresh dirt" fragrance oil from Vetiver Aromatics. If you could smell it through these pictures you would hate it. It's terrible. Really, extraordinarily awful. I was so proud of it when I blended it up too. It was so earthy and grounding. A few hours later it just smells like regret and damp car. For those of you just starting out, I want you to know that Mamma said there would be days like these. It's ok. Anything worth doing will be tough at times. For those of you further along in your soapy journey, any ideas about what happened here other than bad choices all day long? Not sure if it helps, but I also made body butter that looks like Shrek and feels like sandpaper. It was a busy day. In all seriousness, the new recipe that I tried, (yes, it's a new recipe too!) is really quite brittle. Any ideas? The recipe is as follows: Babassu Oil 161.62 grams,
Olive Oil 161.62 grams, Shea Butter 161.62 grams, Castor Oil 26.94 grams, Mango Seed Butter 26.94 grams, Total 538.73 grams.

Attachments

• PXL_20210823_223347694.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210823_223347694.MP.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 73
  • PXL_20210823_223434476.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210823_223434476.PORTRAIT.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 72
  • PXL_20210823_233628718.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210823_233628718.PORTRAIT.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 69
You are hilarious. I have no advice, but just wanted to say that is the color I get from Magic Beans mica. I had some gifted to me (I wonder why 😜 ). The jar has been sitting with my brown micas for years. Recently I used it thinking it is pretty as a powder and completely forgetting what it ends up looking like in my soap. The lightbulb went on as I stirred it into my batter. Did I toss it out? No...I'll surprise myself in another 5 years 😂🤣😂

Oh man you had me laughing so hard, haven't we all had days like this? 🤪

Your color may morph again and hopefully the scent will calm down as well.

As of right now it's making me hungry especially as expensive as red meat is right now!

Thanks for sharing ❤

@KudzuGoddess I love that top! Is it glitter? On my screen your soap actually looks like a vintage and deep pink color. I can honestly say I like it!:)

But I do understand when we feel things go haywire and we get that "uh-oh, this was not my plan":nonono:

@KudzuGoddess I love that top! Is it glitter? On my screen your soap actually looks like a vintage and deep pink color. I can honestly say I like it!:)

But I do understand when we feel things go haywire and we get that "uh-oh, this was not my plan":nonono:

It's the Magic Beans mica, I honestly love it because it does have that iridescent quality.

Thanks for the laugh of the day! Loved your post. From the photos, I honestly think it's attractive. Initially I thought you used a red colorant and reds are tricky and at high-risk of looking like meat. Here's hoping for the scent to morph.

Guys... I also ended up with meat when I attempted a woodgrain pattern :oops:.
It is scented with tobacco and bay leaf so :S I marketed it like "tobacco roots"! Maybe that would keep people's minds off it looking like meat :( Another alternative is that it would look like smoke, but "tobacco smoke" sounds yucky! Tobacco haze? not sure, that sounds like the marihuana plant called purple haze.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-08-01 at 12.36.37 PM (5).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-08-01 at 12.36.37 PM (5).jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 24
Guys... I also ended up with meat when I attempted a woodgrain pattern :oops:.
It is scented with tobacco and bay leaf so :S I marketed it like "tobacco roots"! Maybe that would keep people's minds off it looking like meat :( Another alternative is that it would look like smoke, but "tobacco smoke" sounds yucky! Tobacco haze? not sure, that sounds like the marihuana plant called purple haze.

Hey, this is actually kind cool! But we are our worst critics, I know:oops:

For me this reminded me of something I could not quite put my finger on. Until I just realized I have seen this pattern before! It reminds me of those pine cones that are cut in half. So it is kinda wood related, don`t ya think? A pinecone is just a tree that hasn`t grown up yet...😄

HERE

HERE

HERE

I love these "meat soaps! I can see the second one being a gag gift to a guy!
Yep! That’s exactly how it went. Male teachers received a bar 4?Teacher Appreciation Day & doled out the rest for future Father’s Day gifts 🥩 🧼. Here I thought I’d be stuck with them ALL but actually only have 1 bar left.

Back