Mediterranean Blend ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that the daily value percentage for what we "should" be consuming? Just asking as I'm curious to know the grams saturated fat against the total grams of fat.
Yes. "Nutrition Facts"
WIN_20211110_09_19_18_Pro.jpg

Aha!
There are (roughly) two types of sunflower oil (high-linoleic and high-oleic), and only one of them makes good soap all by itself. Does the label help you, with telling you about poly-unsaturated fatty acids? If you're around 16%, then it should be fine to make a soap with a high percentage of this oil blend (more later), but if it's more around 38%, then you can still use it, but at lower usage rates.
5 g polyunsaturated per 14 g fat is 36%, so they've used high-linoleic sunflower oil for that blend. If you want so, there is a “nutritional facts recommendations/best-practice” for soap as well, that says you shouldn't exceed some 15% polyunsaturated FAs (unless you know what you're doing).

I just had my first cup of coffee this morning and it ain't enough to keep up with this thread! I've bookmarked it so I can read it when my mind is at the necessary levels of comprehension. My first thought with the thread was "Oh, lordy, just pass up the oil...ain't worth the bargain to figure this out!" But thanks to those who have. One of these days I might need it, but not before my coffee kicks in! Love you guys!

@Johnez THANK YOU!! Your timing is excellent since I need to restock my liquid oils. I have now added this to my SMF calculator, and will be heading to Big Lots for some of their blend.

I just had my first cup of coffee this morning and it ain't enough to keep up with this thread! I've bookmarked it so I can read it when my mind is at the necessary levels of comprehension. My first thought with the thread was "Oh, lordy, just pass up the oil...ain't worth the bargain to figure this out!" But thanks to those who have. One of these days I might need it, but not before my coffee kicks in! Love you guys!
@Quilter99755 Lol! I was just thinking the same thing, as I sip my first cup of coffee this morning! Excellent information for sure, and I too am bookmarking for future reference.😊

@Quilter99755 and @Cindy1961 do what I did. Skip the explanations, and simply follow the directions from @Johnez to add this oil blend to your SMF calculator.

Start by opening SMFriend.
Scroll down to the oils section.
Click Add New (see pic below).

View attachment 62469

This will bring up the screen shown below, except the numbers will be blank.

Fill in the numbers as shown in the picture below.

Click Save Oil at the bottom. Should look like this:

View attachment 62471

When you want to make soap, now you can preselect this oil blend from your list of oils:

View attachment 62472

Thank you. I appreciate all the time you spent.
This really blows me away.
I looked at some of my old stuff packed away in a closet last night after posting this. It was ugly, fragrance discolored, shrunken. Got completely bummed and grated a bunch to rebatch. As a soaper, I weave a helluva potholder.
That was discouraging, but reading this and all of the posts gives very valuable encouragement. Many thanks.
You have saved a fellow soap maker from tapping out I think..
I will work on this again today. Very useful.

I'm happy to have been able to contribute and help a fellow soaper. One of the things I've learned here is that there is nearly always someone who's been in a similar situation, I've drawn from quite a bit of other's experience that's for sure. I'm glad I was able to put something I've learned out there for you and anyone else going through the same.

@Quilter99755 and @Cindy1961 do what I did. Skip the explanations, and simply follow the directions from @Johnez to add this oil blend to your SMF calculator.

Start by opening SMFriend.
Scroll down to the oils section.
Click Add New (see pic below).

View attachment 62469

This will bring up the screen shown below, except the numbers will be blank.

Fill in the numbers as shown in the picture below.

Click Save Oil at the bottom. Should look like this:

View attachment 62471

When you want to make soap, now you can preselect this oil blend from your list of oils:

View attachment 62472
Thank you for the simplification, @AliOop!

Back