Mechanic's soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah ok, I got some whole luffa and have been trying to figure out how to shred it. Tried using a coffee grinder, bullet, food processor but nothing has worked so far lol. I hope to figure it out soon. Thanks for replying.
How about putting it through a meat grinder?

I have wondered the same thing myself, but in no way am I tempted to put something like that down my drains! I think it would be a plumbing fiasco.

How about putting it through a meat grinder?

I have wondered the same thing myself, but in no way am I tempted to put something like that down my drains! I think it would be a plumbing fiasco.

I thought of using the meat grinder but never tried it lol. I haven't seen or heard any issues with it. Bramble Berry sells it, a lot of soapers use it. It's just like any other exfoliant. Will try out the meat grinder. Thanks.

Still, I wouldn't use anything so fibrous with my plumbing. I've read too many cautions by large metropolitan sewer system agencies about even 'flushable' baby wipes compromising city sewer systems, let alone the costly results for private homeowners.

And from an infection control standpoint (sorry, retired nurse here) I don't even think I'd want to use loofah on my own skin, and here's why: https://www.preclaboratories.com/germs-on-a-loofah/
In optimal conditions, bacterial growth may be avoided, but for myself my choice is clear.

Granted, I did buy a loofah at one point, but never got around to using it and am now not sure what I'm going to do with it. I'll probably toss it in the compost pile and let the microorganisms eat it. 😉

Ah ok, I got some whole luffa and have been trying to figure out how to shred it
WSP sells 7/8" Loofa Slices which is the way I've seen it used most often. Slice it, put one each into a 6-round cavity mold and pour the soap over it. The recipes on that link show mostly M&P but there are a few CP.

Plus there's the advantage of disposing of the whole slice after the bar is finished vs. the shreds going down the drain.

To slice it, try an electric knife if you have one. We use to drag ours out once a year for Thanksgiving to slice the turkey. I've also used it to cut foam to fit the dining chairs when we recovered the seats. It has many uses. If you don't have one, I see them fairly often at Thrift stores.

Also, any knife with a serrated blade might do. Or a small saw?

Just my thought on a cold rainy afternoon in Denver.

WSP sells 7/8" Loofa Slices which is the way I've seen it used most often. Slice it, put one each into a 6-round cavity mold and pour the soap over it. The recipes on that link show mostly M&P but there are a few CP.

Plus there's the advantage of disposing of the whole slice after the bar is finished vs. the shreds going down the drain.

To slice it, try an electric knife if you have one. We use to drag ours out once a year for Thanksgiving to slice the turkey. I've also used it to cut foam to fit the dining chairs when we recovered the seats. It has many uses. If you don't have one, I see them fairly often at Thrift stores.

Also, any knife with a serrated blade might do. Or a small saw?

Just my thought on a cold rainy afternoon in Denver.

Thanks. I don't have an electric knife lol. However, I did come up with an idea of what to do. May post if successful.

Still, I wouldn't use anything so fibrous with my plumbing. I've read too many cautions by large metropolitan sewer system agencies about even 'flushable' baby wipes compromising city sewer systems, let alone the costly results for private homeowners.

And from an infection control standpoint (sorry, retired nurse here) I don't even think I'd want to use loofah on my own skin, and here's why: https://www.preclaboratories.com/germs-on-a-loofah/
In optimal conditions, bacterial growth may be avoided, but for myself my choice is clear.

Granted, I did buy a loofah at one point, but never got around to using it and am now not sure what I'm going to do with it. I'll probably toss it in the compost pile and let the microorganisms eat it. 😉

Oh wow. This is quite informative. Thanks for sharing. Truly appreciate it.

Back