Meat Slicer to Smooth Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsc

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a meat slicer to smooth the top of their bars of soap?

I don't have a meat slicer, but that sounds like it could work. I have a soap planer, which is the same kind of slicing concept. Hmmmm, now I'm wondering if I could use my soap planer as a meat slicer. lol

IrishLass :)

Makes me want to try my meat slicer now. I'll have to wait until hubby is at work, he might not appreciate me using his slicer on soap lol.

Skayc1, my slicer has a holder for the meats, it would work just as good to hold a bar of soap.

I've seen someone use an inexpensive mandolin (not the string insturment...) as a planer. But I just sprung for ine from etsy with the angled guide.

I dont know about the slicer, but I've tried my mandolin and it took off way too much soap for my tastes sadly, so how thin it can slice might be an issue to think on?

Meat slicers scare me though they might make a good planer... though I think they would remove a greater thickness of soap.

When I was in high school, I worked at a pizza shop that had an ancient, very second-hand, dull meat slicer... the contraption was much older than I was. The blade would get stuck in the meat with oily smoke coming from the motor, and we had to push on the flat portion of the blade to get it spinning again. Of course this led to accidents...

One day my hand got caught on it, and it made the cleanest slice in probably 15 years over my pinky finger - from my knuckle, through my fingernail and around the top to other side - neatly exposing my bone. I was in shock, but must have made some noise since my coworker, Aparna, came over and looked at my finger. At just that moment, a spurt of blood hit her across the face and she fainted. Our delivery guy walked in to find a murderous looking scene, with me bent over a body on the floor getting blood over us both while hunks of ham fell around us. The delivery guy took me to get stitches, Aparna's husband took her home after throwing the machine in the dumpster, and the owner finally got us a curse-free slicer.

So, ummm, be careful!

Llama, that is the best accident horror story I've ever read. The coworker passing out was the best. Usually it's the one with the missing digit spewing blood on the ceiling that passes out. I hope you called her out for being a wimp. :smile:

(BTW: meat slicers and garbage disposals terrify me. Ain't going near either one, thank you very much.)

Llama, that is the best accident horror story I've ever read. The coworker passing out was the best. Usually it's the one with the missing digit spewing blood on the ceiling that passes out. I hope you called her out for being a wimp. :smile:

(BTW: meat slicers and garbage disposals terrify me. Ain't going near either one, thank you very much.)

She was a trooper, just a little freaked out by blood. :)

You're afraid of garbage disposals too! I thought I was the only one... We can be phobia twins!

Latest posts

Back