Measuring tips wanted (and needed)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SheLion

Reaction score
When I measure out any liquids for batches, I usually end up doing a lot of pouring back and forth to get the amount exact. And don't get me started on measuring FOs. I either spill it all over my scale because it pours down the side of the bottle (I tried the skewer trick-I'm not that coordinated apparently because it was only minimally better.) or I end up using a small, disposable transfer pippette and doing 15-20 transfers.

I'm thinking there must be better methods that I just don't know. Any tips and tricks would be much appreciated, especially for dealing with FOs.

Are you firmly placing the skewer against the mouth of the fragrance bottle, and watching that contact point as you begin to pour a slow steady stream? Use two contact points if you need to (i.e., both upper and bottom lip of FO bottle), tho I find it easier with one. Also, make sure the skewer is long enough to accurately direct into where ever the FO should land so that you're not trying to aim. When the stream is flowing right, then you can look at the scale (allow yourself that time). My best advice is to work on that technique, as it works wonders for me.

If you are still freaked out, use that for as long as you can (hopefully within just a few grams), then you can use a pipette or a cap -- like the cap of a gallon water jug -- to pour the remaining amount. I use a cap with water more so than fragrance, since I don't bother with a skewer when measuring water. It gives me a way to slowly add intermediate amounts without having to pour back and forth.

With liquid oils, if I measure out to much, I use a spoon to remove a bit. Then I can fiddle with adding/removing without having to pour. Once I get the measurements right, I just pour what is left in the spoon back into the bottle.

With FO, I pour it into a shot glass or other small glass. I hold the glass right up against the fo bottle neck then tip it slowly. Rarely spill any this way and if I go over, I don't worry about it as it usually only a tiny amount.

I still have trouble with FO bottles, but plan to practice with an empty one filled with water using the skewer technique.

But for lye solution measuring (from my masterbatched bottle of lye), what I use is a stainless steel teaspoon to dip out any over-pour. By removing a small amount, and holding the spoon above the container still on the scale, I can see if I removed enough or too much. If it's too much, I drop a bit back into the container from the spoon. Once I get the container on the scale to the correct amount, the excess in the spoon can be dumped out into the sink and washed away with cold water. Previously I used a pipette, but the teaspoon method is easier and more efficient for me. This works fine for any liquid, even with FO's, but they go back into the FO bottle, not down the sink. Depending on if I care to keep the excess liquid, it may go back in the original container, or down the sink.

The same works with dry ingredients.

ETA: I see that Obsidian and I do the same thing.

I have beakers for measuring EOs/FOs. So I hold up the beaker at eye level, pour a volume measure, then set the beaker on the scale to get the weight. I use a pipette to top off to the amount I need.

PS: I worked as a waitress to earn money for college. That's where I learned that pouring coffee without spilling is all about confidence... you can do it if you think you can do it. Well, almost always, that is. heheh

I was at an aquarium show last week, and saw some amazing long (larger capacity) pipettes. They are awesome for pouring FOs. Here is the first supplier I could find with some online, there are many more choices out there:

http://www.labdepotinc.com/p-61725-tld-extra-long-transfer-pipets.php

I use the "skewer trick" if I am pouring lots for a larger batch (I actually use a pipette rather than a skewer. It flattens against the lip of the bottle, which gives me much more control). I use pipettes for smaller batches. I am not all that coordinated, though.

I use a spoon to remove over pours if it is a small amount. I just pour larger amounts back into the container. I rarely have large over pours since I learned to not have anyone or anything distracting me. If I have an "oops" that can't be undone (like when I pour too much into a container with other ingredients), I go back to the calculator and re-do the recipe with the actual weight of whatever the accidental over pour was. I usually do not pour into a container that already has stuff in it to avoid that, though.

I write the weight of empty containers on masking tape & apply the tape to the container. That way I know what to deduct if I forget to 'tare' the scale or I take too long & it turns itself off. The tape lable survives washing something like 'forever' unless it gets oily.

I also using the masking tape & Sharpy pen method for labeling various things: trays of curing soap; dates oils were opened & date Roe was added to opened bottles of oil; food items in the fridge; etc.

I transfer liquid oils from the large containers to smaller ones that I can pour slowly and even trickle from. I have a couple of gallon jugs of coconut oil thawing now ant the funnel is at ready as well as some quartish size used olive oil bottles.
One trick I use is to pour and watch the scale at the same time. I have gotten used to the delay time that my scale has between a weight ( mass) hitting the scale ( load cell) and the display showing what is really there. I can hit within 0.2 grams every time now.

FO' and EO's get transferred to a 4 oz bottle that was a FO sample once. It has a wide mouth and if I am just a touch short on the scent I just don't tell you.

Slow is better. Just fast enough that the liquid isn't running down the edge of the bottle toward my gloved hands.

I agree with obsidian and earlene - fetching drops, or grains, back using a spoon-tip makes measuring easier.

The only thing I do that is slightly different to obsidian and earlene is that I will measure directly onto the spoon first, when I get close to something I want to be careful with, and drop it in from there (I don't pour back into my source bottles, so I have to take care pouring out).

Once you know how much weight (approximately) your spoon holds, you get a bit of play-room to stop pouring before you pour out too much of your bottle, and it's easy to drip in to your container from a spoon.

An alternative (or an addition to) the spoon method, is to use something like a stainless steel gravy jug to measure into - they are cheap to buy, don't weigh too much, are readily available, they are easy to clean, come in a multitude of sizes and are very easy to pour from (can you tell I like them?).

Using something this long to measure your oils into means you can direct the dribbles from your bottle into your gravy boat container.

An example supplier (an example - below is their picture):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NAGFKUQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Gravy boats various smaller pic.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I rarely pour.

I am a hobbyist and make numerous smaller batches. Therefore, I use pipettes to draw up transfer my EO/FO to a receptacle on the scale. For oils, I am a bit weird in that I do not keep mine in the plastic jugs that they are shipped in.

In the interest of space-efficiency, all my oils are stored in wide-mouthed Weck canning jars of various sizes. It allows me to stack them and utilize every inch of the cabinet. It is easy to scoop out what I need.

I do still pour additives such as sodium lactate and preservatives due to the container size. For that, the skewer method works for me. I never pour directly into my mixture, just as I never separate eggs directly into my recipe. I do so into a smaller container so as not to adulterate the entire recipe if I overpour (or break a yolk).

Whether scooping or pouring, I like to use silicone pinch bowls or liquid measures.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...uring-cup-set/?cm_src=E:measuring-cups-spoons

https://www.containerstore.com/s/4-piece-pinch-bowl-set/d?productId=10032508&q=silicone

I am trying to restrict the my over-abundance of supplies to a buffet cabinet in the hobby/craft/guest/foster room. I am incredibly adept at making every inch count...so that I can just fit more :)

Last edited:
Awesome! Thanks for sharing those links. I actually have some pinch bowls... I never thought of using them for soap/lotion making... what's wrong with me?! I must be losing it! hahaha

I am trying to restrict the my over-abundance of supplies to a buffet cabinet in the hobby/craft/guest/foster room. I am incredibly adept at making every inch count...so that I can just fit more :smile:
Way ta go! :clap:
icon_clap.gif
icon_clap.gif

Thanks, everyone. I don't know why I didn't think to use a spoon for the last few drops, or for subtracting. Duh!

I think I will be getting a pippette and a pump for it. The squeezy bulbs annoy me.

Latest posts

Back