Mean Mica

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone tell me why my rose mica powder turned my soap orange?

Some Micas can morph, but then turn back. An example of this is RE's Lemon Sherbet; it turns orange in the soap batter, but during the saponification process it turns back to yellow.

I keep hoping that my morphed micas will morph back, but so far, no luck. I had a peach morph to an orangey flesh tone recently, pale blue go green, spruce green go olive and probably more that I can’t recall. These micas are all from one of the well-respected soap supply companies. I started making test blocks of mica colorants, sticking with the whitest recipes possible, watching out for fragrance discoloration, etc. I think it’s especially problematic when I’m trying to make a soap with pastel colors. I saw a peach color mica and two greens morph on a “famous” soap maker in some YT videos I watched earlier today. The micas were from two different suppliers. I also noticed some YT makers using dark micas and then adding a lot of TD to get pastels. Maybe that’s the trick.

I started making test blocks of mica colorants..... Maybe that’s the trick.

Right there.

Once I got my recipe down, I started watching soap makers for colorants and scents...some added a little, some added a lot, some added TD, some added AC, some dispersed in oil/water, some did not and so on and so forth. I tried a lot of the things they did, but I didn't get the same results. I figured the fault was mine, maybe I was missing something. I was. It was the batter.

I think I can say with all certainty that no two soap makers use the same exact recipe or the same exact ingredients or the same exact supplier. Someone could take my recipe that has 35% Olive Oil and use EVOO or OO Pomace and get a different result or change it a little so they are using 30% OO and 5% SAO or AO and get a different result or use refined/deodorized Cocoa Butter instead of 'natural' and get a different result or get their OO from BrambleBerry while I get mine from Costco and get a different result.

So I think the 'trick' is to get sample of whatever colorant you are interested in and then make a test block with your recipe.

I discovered the essential oil I was using was a bright yellow. I think this why my batter turned peach when I added the pink mica. Thanks for your replies though.

Back