Me at age three

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been spending hours looking at negatives of photos my dad took in his lifetime, and he was an avid photographer so that's a load of negatives. My eyes are suffering from trying to see the detail in these old photos. But, Oh My Gosh, does this bring back memories. And renewed revelations. For one, my mom was way too young to be a mother and married when some of these photos were taken. For another, we lived in what can only be called poverty when I was quite small. For another, my parents were extremely beautiful people.

Anyway, here's a photo of me at 3 years of age that my dad snapped. As I recall I was often a ham in front of the camera and loved to pose. Although there are a few photos of me where I was obviously quite angry and not in the mood to pose, so I wasn't always ready to ham it up.

Earlene posing on car 1952.jpg

edit to make photo large again (in the conversion it was reduced to a thumbnail)

Last edited:
I recognize the coloring technique, Zany. My mom used to do that to photos. I forget what it was called, but Wikipedia calls it hand coloring of B&W photos. I think my mom used cotton swabs, but I didn't pay close attention. We have only a few with that over-painting technique.

I recognize the coloring technique, Zany. My mom used to do that to photos. I forget what it was called, but Wikipedia calls it hand coloring of B&W photos. I think my mom used cotton swabs, but I didn't pay close attention. We have only a few with that over-painting technique.
LOL Too funny! My mom did that too! I thought she used colored pencils. ??? I'll hafta ask the next time we chat. BTW, is that a Pontiac? We had a similar shaped '49 Ford, grey, with a rumble seat in the back. I remember falling asleep in the back seat one time when my Dad went hunting. When I woke up, I was greeted by a baby bunny right in front of my eyes, and my Dad leaning in, grinning from ear to ear. :)

LOL Too funny! My mom did that too! I thought she used colored pencils. ??? I'll hafta ask the next time we chat.

I've recolored a few B&W photos, too. I used special, photo recoloring markers that I bought at Michael's Craft Store. They work really well. My favorite recoloring project was a B&W high school senior picture of my mom taken in 1959 when she was 17 or 18. I was very pleased with how it turned out.

IrishLass :)

LOL Too funny! My mom did that too! I thought she used colored pencils. ??? I'll hafta ask the next time we chat. BTW, is that a Pontiac? We had a similar shaped '49 Ford, grey, with a rumble seat in the back. I remember falling asleep in the back seat one time when my Dad went hunting. When I woke up, I was greeted by a baby bunny right in front of my eyes, and my Dad leaning in, grinning from ear to ear. :)
I have no idea what kind of car it is. I was only 3 after all and not only is that car long gone, my parents are as well, so there is no one to ask.

BTW, is that a Pontiac? We had a similar shaped '49 Ford, grey, with a rumble seat in the back. I remember falling asleep in the back seat one time when my Dad went hunting. When I woke up, I was greeted by a baby bunny right in front of my eyes, and my Dad leaning in, grinning from ear to ear. :)

So my husband is on the search for the car's make and model. He says the closest thing he can find to it is a 1939 Lincoln Zephyr. Well that's not it. I had already concluded it was a 1939 or 1940 - ish era automobile based on the lines and the headlights. But I have been unable to find a single photo of any American made automobile that looks exactly like that model, grill, headlights, windows and all. I am pretty sure it's an American made car, but I suppose I could be wrong about that. If it was owned by someone other than my family it could have been, but back then and where we lived, I doubt there were many foreign cars around those parts.

Back