Mayday mayday! Mystery oils!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGM

Reaction score
So....a couple of months ago, I put together a number of jars of oils. This was my baby attempt at masterbatching....let's call it minorbatching, shall we?
Anyway, I made 6 jars of my usual recipe which I have written down in SoapCal, in draft email messages (where I do a surprising amount of work), in Word docs, it's practically tattooed on my forehead, I have such great records of this recipe.
And then there's a larger jar, of about 50-100% more oil which I know isn't the same oils (not just a double batch of same recipe, I remember that much). I know there's definitely CO and castor, likely palm, but maybe RBO instead of OO. No butters.
Is it possible to soap with this mystery oil, not being able to enter details into Soap Calc? I'd hate to just pitch out all the oil :-( Probably shouldn't cook with it.....:p

Advice?

IF you only make it only for yourself, and do a generous 5-7% superfat, I'd probably use the same lye calculation as your regular recipe and then test test test it once cured.

you will know right away if there is not enough lye (highly doubtful, but it won't solidify) but may not know if it will end up lye heavy until a full cure, and you do zap tests and use it...

Do you have any idea if it's going to be very different from your original recipe? If it's just RBO in stead of OO, I'd just go for it, since they're quite similar in fatty acid profile. If you think you might have used different ratios of oils I'd be a bit more careful (especially if you think you might have used more CO, since it uses up more lye to saponify and with a higher CO you actually want a higher SF instead of lower)
Also, what's your usual superfat? If you like a high superfat I'd definitely go for 7% so you're surely safe, but if you prefer a lower SF, you could just try your regular sf in a small batch and see how it turns out. Some soapers seem to use a slight negative superfat without problems as lye purity is never 100% and even if it's zappy in the first week, it could still neutralize by lye reacting with air and forming soda ash. If not, you just rebatch and add a bit of extra oil and/or try another small batch with a higher superfat [emoji6]

I did this, I think I ended up just tossing it. There is a post somewhere in here on it (if you want to search my topics).
since then I found it best to just toss it or use it to lube your skin or something. I know it is hard to toss something.

You may be able to at least figure out the oils you used, unless you have Every oil to man in your soap room ;)

I think I might just go for it as per @dixiedragon ... I do have A LOT of oils, but have barely used any of them. I know I wrote this down somewhere...maybe will spend a bit more time looking for my notes before jumping....It's not like I don't have other soaps to make. I'll put the jar away in a cupboard so it stops taunting me!

Latest posts

Back