Maybe it's me...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LunaSkye

Reaction score
Somewhere in this crazy world of ours! ^_^
I have yet to reach a thick trace with my soap. I have blended and stirred for over an hour and it never came. I even managed to avoid cooking it when I put the slow-cooker back on (I turned it off around 117 degrees F). Here is the recipe:

evoo- 12 oz.
cocoa butter- .98 oz.
avacado oil- 1.06 oz.
lye- 1.84 oz.
chamomile tea- 1.48 oz.
banana puree (baby food)- 4 oz. jar.

Am I really am doing something wrong?

WHat are you using to stir? Do you have a stick blender? SOaps with such a high percentage of OO are definitely slower to trace and if you are hand stirring, that can take a very long time indeed.

What else do you use to stir? My first batch I used a stick blender, but in between I made the mistake of using a whisk. I read stick blenders can make it look thicker than it is and to stop and stir by hand often until you become accustomed to what trace looks and feels like. So here I am whisking away for over an hour.. finally checked online and read whisks are used to KEEP FROM HITTING TRACE! I was so mad at myself! Now I have a couple great mixing spoons and no issues..

Get a plug in stick blender and you won't have any trouble getting trace. It will still take awhile with that much OO but you'll get there. As you've found though, you don't need thick trace to have successful soap. I've poured at emulsion before and the soap sets just fine.

Latest posts

Back