Maximum Coconut Oil Amount?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"...I've heard that linoleic over 15% results in DOS...."

Ahem. I'd like to correct the record, please. What you have heard -- from me at least -- is that some soapers follow a RULE OF THUMB to keep the combined linoleic + linolenic at 15% or less.

It's MORE LIKELY that rancidity may occur at higher amounts of linoleic + linolenic, but no one is saying that rancidity WILL happen. There are so many other variables that affect whether rancidity does occur -- other additives and fats in the recipe, soaping temperatures, storage conditions, the use of antioxidants and chelators, etc.

I stand corrected!

Yes. My dry, old-lady skin likes less than 12% lauric and myristic combo.
Carol
Seriously, it's a case of different soaps for different folks! My friend, a 77-year old lady, loves my 100% CO bar with 10% SF, which I hate -- it makes my skin like leather. And she was not very impressed by the more conditioning one -- and this was in the winter! One non-CO bar I love is the one given by @penelopejane at https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/maximum-of-cocoabutter-in-cp.61238/.

Seriously, it's a case of different soaps for different folks! My friend, a 77-year old lady, loves my 100% CO bar with 10% SF, which I hate -- it makes my skin like leather. And she was not very impressed by the more conditioning one -- and this was in the winter! One non-CO bar I love is the one given by @penelopejane at https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/maximum-of-cocoabutter-in-cp.61238/.

I LOVE my salt bar with 100% CO, 20% SF, and 50% weight in salt. I have, um, mature skin. And it's awesome for me. My friend sells a wonderful "luxury" bar with avocado oil and real avocadoes, and it feels rich and wonderful and fabulous. And it makes me break out- so I had wrinkles, gray hair, and pimples when I used it.

Interestingly, my husband, who is 63 years old and has rather oily skin does well with the salt bars as well. He also uses the salt bars as a shampoo bar, but hates my actual shampoo bars for his hair.

So "it depends" really is the answer for this question.

Using my third bar of 15% CO (10% lauric + myristic). It is definitively drying. Took a few weeks before it really started to dry my skin out. Debating whether to go down to 10% CO or no CO at all (0% lauric + mrystic). Anyone tried making a 0% lauric + myristic bar. How was it? Did it lather at all?

Last edited:
Using my third bar of 15% CO (10% lauric + myristic). Anyone tried making a 0% lauric + myristic bar. How was it? Did it lather at all?

Take a look at the link I have given earlier in this thread (this is message 49; I have given it in message 45 43) -- that recipe has no lauric or myristic acid.
Yes, it does lather -- a nice, creamy lather.

Last edited:
Take a look at the link I have given earlier in this thread (this is message 49; I have given it in message 45) -- that recipe has no lauric or myristic acid.
Yes, it does lather -- a nice, creamy lather.
Thank you. Do you mean message 43 referencing Genny's shampoo bar?

Do u guys think Ill get any bubbly lather out of 10% CO soap with no other lauric/myristic oils? I tried no CO and got no bubbles. 15% CO is drying for me.

Do u guys think Ill get any bubbly lather out of 10% CO soap with no other lauric/myristic oils? I tried no CO and got no bubbles. 15% CO is drying for me.
You mean you tried Genny's shampoo bar?
Actually, I find that any non-bubbly soap produces bubbles after three months. However, if you don't want to wait that long, you can make a non-CO soap with dual lye.

I use up to 30% in my family soap. Some people have skin problems if that much is used; but my family seems to get along fine with that amount.

Actually, I find that any non-bubbly soap produces bubbles after three months. However, if you don't want to wait that long, you can make a non-CO soap with dual lye.

Haven't tried the shampoo bar yet. Im intrigued by dual lye and will research. Thanks!

Did my research. Looks like dual lye is the way to go! Will give it a try on my next batch.

Last edited:
Back