Maximum castor oil for this?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wearytraveler

Reaction score
I'm looking to see what the pros here recommend as far as adding some lard to the recipe attached and if it will contribute anything above and beyond what the palm oil does. Note, I'd like to keep this fluid for a bit as I'd like to start experimenting with colors. I'm also planning to add 1 tsp PPO sugar and salt as well as the recommended amount of sodium lactate to the mix.
No specific need for lard... I just happen to have some around.

Thanks!

Capture.jpg

I would at least completely replace the palm with lard. Lard provides a very fluid batter - my most used recipe is 65% lard (no palm or butters) and it's swirlable for up to an hour.

Lard loves skin more than palm oil does! It's just got more to give than palm.

I'm a little concerned about the 40+% Avocado oil; anyone else used it that high?

ETA: just saw the part about using sodium lactate. I don't like sodium lactate and lard so gave up using. I don't know how adding sl will/won't affect the speed of your batter.

Last edited:
i would increase the castor to 5%. I would also drop the avocado to 25-30% and use the remainder as lard (replacing all the palm). Or if you want just use some lard replace half the palm. I however see nothing positive using both. All lard will give you a recipe that you can work with.

If you are anything like me, you'll definitely notice a difference between lard and palm. For example, I have a regular formula that contains olive, lard (26.5% worth of lard), coconut and castor. One day I had some Spectrum Palm on hand for cooking purposes, and so I decided to make my lard formula the same as usual, but switch out the lard for the palm to compare. Result? Lard won the day hands down, no question about it. Compared to the palm batch, my same formula made with the lard has an extra dimension or two of creamy/oomphy/ depth or body to the lather that was noticeably lacking in the palm batch.

Lard also gives you more swirl time in comparison to palm.

In regards to adding 1 tsp salt and sodium lactate.... if extra hardness is what you are after, I would choose one or the other instead of adding both, since they both do the same thing where hardness is concerned. If it were me, I'd ditch the salt and add the SL, but I'm kinda prejudiced. SL is one of my favorite additives. I add it to all but one of my formulas (salt bar formula).

lenarenee said:
I'm a little concerned about the 40+% Avocado oil; anyone else used it that high?

If my soap is anything to go by, I think the 40% should be fine. I use 30% avocado oil along with 40% olive oil in my tweak of Genny's shampoo bar (that I actually like to use on my body instead of on my hair, lol), and it turns out quite lovely.

IrishLass :)

Thanks everyone. Lard it is. I was worried that it might cut my color playing time but apparently that's not the case. Sorry for the thread title mix up. I started out thinking about another question then got totally sidetracked.
So regarding castor, what is the highest I can safely go with this recipe (lard instead of palm) before I risk the tacky/sticky bar?

Thanks again to all here. Can't wait to order some micas and play with colors!

** Forgot to mention that I keep my CO low since I prefer a milder bar with minimal cleansing properties and I find that anything higher than 6 or 7% will make my skin feel dry.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Lard it is. I was worried that it might cut my color playing time but apparently that's not the case. Sorry for the thread title mix up. I started out thinking about another question then got totally sidetracked.
So regarding castor, what is the highest I can safely go with this recipe (lard instead of palm) before I risk the tacky/sticky bar?

** Forgot to mention that I keep my CO low since I prefer a milder bar with minimal cleansing properties and I find that anything higher than 6 or 7% will make my skin feel dry.

It's not really necessary to use more than 5% Castor though I have gone as high as 10% with no issues.

I make my own soap with a similar amount of coconut for the winter. With any other fat/oil, it would be an uninspiring amount of bubbles, but lard adds a full, although creamy lather that won't leave you disappointed.

I've never used a large amount of conditioning oils when I use 50% or more lard - guess I never felt the need. I should give it a try though...:think:

Luckily I came here and checked with everyone BEFORE finalizing the order in Amazon so no palm was ordered. I was just worried that the lard would trace faster and not give me the time to play with colors. I guess since I'm adding the sugar there really isn't a need to push it with the castor so 5% will be the limit. Now I just have to sit and wait for the micas to arrive.

Thanks!

I will warn you to use up your palm oil before trying lard, though. Otherwise you may be stuck with palm oil you never want to use again.

Luckily I came here and checked with everyone BEFORE finalizing the order in Amazon so no palm was ordered. I was just worried that the lard would trace faster and not give me the time to play with colors. I guess since I'm adding the sugar there really isn't a need to push it with the castor so 5% will be the limit. Now I just have to sit and wait for the micas to arrive.

Thanks!

Actually lard is much slower moving than Palm. Palm can speed things up. I use both (not together) a and lard is friendlier.

Back