Max usage % for ginger EO in CP soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DucknBear Gracie

Reaction score
Hellooo again
Does anyone know the max % for ginger EO in soap? I checked my suppliers IFRA document but it says 46.86% and that seems wayyy to high for any essential oil - from reading other places most people say 1% - just want to check that's right before continuing!

Ginger EO is also pretty strong smelling - I'd like to mix it with other scents so I think even if more than 1% can be used I'd rather not as I would've thought it would be too overpowering- just want to be sure that 1% is safe!

I checked my suppliers IFRA document but it says 46.86% and that seems wayyy to high for any essential oil
This is a common misconception for Newbies. To clarify, IFRA gives the maximum for safe usage. It's not the same thing as "Use Rate" for the product you make.

Generally speaking, 0.5 oz is GRAS (Generally Regarded As Safe) for use in soap. But always check a reliable source like Eden Botanicals or EO Calc linked in Post #3. The Use Rate for some EOs like Bay Laurel is considerably less. Scroll down to "Safety Considerations".

Last edited:
Again, as I mentioned in another fragrances question thread, you are in the UK and have different regulations than in some other countries (the US for example is not as strict). Refer to this post for more on that topic.

I have not been to your SouthWestern England; I would love to visit your part of the UK. It looks & sounds like a lovely area.

EOCalc.com is good place to find safe usage rates on EOs, as well as good blends for specific EOs (including ginger or any combination you might choose). :)

Again, as I mentioned in another fragrances question thread, you are in the UK and have different regulations than in some other countries (the US for example is not as strict). Refer to this post for more on that topic.

I have not been to your SouthWestern England; I would love to visit your part of the UK. It looks & sounds like a lovely area.
I just saw this (very late!) Highly recommend around here, especially around the coast!

Latest posts

Back