Max time for Frosting CP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BodyDew

Reaction score
So I usually pipe my frosted top soap within 24 hrs, but I would rather have the swirl pattern on all sides (not just the top with the sides flat from slicing the bar - photo attached)
So if I allow bar harden enough to remove from mold, then slice it & THEM mix some CP batter to pipe on the top, how long do you think would be the MAX time between the original pour & the piped topping.
I’m just wanting to make sure that the 2 layers stick & don’t separate

Attachments

• AE654DB9-065E-49DC-8CA1-C695C025185F.png
    AE654DB9-065E-49DC-8CA1-C695C025185F.png
    607.3 KB · Views: 69
I'm not quite sure I get what you mean - do you want it to NOT look like the picture? Anyhoo - I think that if the soap has hardened you run the risk of the piping just falling off unless you can CPOP it so that it sticks together well? I'm not an e experienced piper, but the few times I have done it, with the bottom soap and the piping soap are still wet.

How long between the 2?
I’m wondering if letting the bar part set in mold 2-3 days, then cut & pipe frosting on day 3-4 would be too much time.
Also planning to smear some less traced batter on first & then mixing the rest to a heavy trace since it pipes much better when thick

I'm not quite sure I get what you mean - do you want it to NOT look like the picture? Anyhoo - I think that if the soap has hardened you run the risk of the piping just falling off unless you can CPOP it so that it sticks together well? I'm not an e experienced piper, but the few times I have done it, with the bottom soap and the piping soap are still wet.
I want them to look like this - with the swirl on all sides instead of flat

Attachments

• AC636D13-0E26-42B9-9BD7-C75B07ADAAAD.jpeg
    AC636D13-0E26-42B9-9BD7-C75B07ADAAAD.jpeg
    271.9 KB · Views: 68
Do you need to let your soap sit very long? 2-3 days seems long...I would take it out of the mold as soon as it's possible with your recipe. I'd keep it covered (so that it dries out as slowly as possible) and I'd make sure the top of the bar was damp with thin soap or even distilled water to increase chances of it sticking. Anecdotally: I have piped a top the next day without it being an issue.

I would think that as long as you do it a couple of days after unmolding...good time to bevel, plane, stamp and you spray the stop with IPA and then score the top so the new soap can 'grip' it, you should be fine.

But of course, the only way to find out is to test. Make a small batch of soap...say four bars. Then frost one the same day you unmold, frost one each day after and then see how they do after they are cured.

How long between the 2?
I’m wondering if letting the bar part set in mold 2-3 days, then cut & pipe frosting on day 3-4 would be too much time.
Also planning to smear some less traced batter on first & then mixing the rest to a heavy trace since it pipes much better when thick

I want them to look like this - with the swirl on all sides instead of flat
Oh man, I really like the look of what you are trying to achieve. That looks so much better than the cut look!

So I usually pipe my frosted top soap within 24 hrs, but I would rather have the swirl pattern on all sides (not just the top with the sides flat from slicing the bar - photo attached)
So if I allow bar harden enough to remove from mold, then slice it & THEM mix some CP batter to pipe on the top, how long do you think would be the MAX time between the original pour & the piped topping.
I’m just wanting to make sure that the 2 layers stick & don’t separate
Well, I know you can pipe flowers and store them to add later on like embeds. And I recently saw a YT video from Royalty Soaps where Katie has been taking the leftover soap in her piping bags and putting it into a loaf mold, she figured it’ll take a year to fill the entire mold so that tells me we have more time than I ever assumed. I’ve also seen/heard multiple people use a steamer to “prep” an already made loaf of soap before piping on top of it.

Well, I know you can pipe flowers and store them to add later on like embeds. And I recently saw a YT video from Royalty Soaps where Katie has been taking the leftover soap in her piping bags and putting it into a loaf mold, she figured it’ll take a year to fill the entire mold so that tells me we have more time than I ever assumed. I’ve also seen/heard multiple people use a steamer to “prep” an already made loaf of soap before piping on top of it.
I picked up a steamer to help with soda ash, and that's been my plan: steam the HP top before piping on top of it.

I guess that's a good point about embeds and flowers; I guess with an uneven enough surface, the CP soap has an easier time grabbing onto a dry piece of soap.

That's interesting about Katie/Royalty's piping loaf!she must own a LOT of loaf mold if she's willing to dedicate one to a year-long frosting loaf "pour" 😂

That's interesting about Katie/Royalty's piping loaf!she must own a LOT of loaf mold if she's willing to dedicate one to a year-long frosting loaf "pour"
Katie from Royalty makes hundreds, possibly thousands of loaves a year, her whole family is involved. I would say she owns a ton of molds, and they are the huge ones too!

Katie from Royalty makes hundreds, possibly thousands of loaves a year, her whole family is involved. I would say she owns a ton of molds, and they are the huge ones too!
That volume explains the dreamy mica collection in the background when she films. It's just beautiful 😍

Latest posts

Back