Max steric in CP?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would love to see a video of that - working with that much SA in cold process must be pretty interesting

You will see no video Efficacious.

Use KOH instead of NaOH and it gets less interesting. Especially if you like soft italian-like shaving soaps as I do.
If you want the soap to be hard, add some sodium lactate to the oils.

Yes, but make sure that it really is pure soy wax. EcoSoya makes one that is, but I'll be durned if I can remember which one off the top of my head right now.

Hello,

I have managed to find some pure 100% soy wax but I cannot find Soy wax in Soapcalc. What do you use in Soapcalc instead?

You want the fully hydrogenated soybean option. I had a go at making soap with it and I thought it made the soap feel odd. It gave it a weird texture, but lots of other people seem to really like it.

You want the fully hydrogenated soybean option. I had a go at making soap with it and I thought it made the soap feel odd. It gave it a weird texture, but lots of other people seem to really like it.

Thanks. I'll give it a go and if it's no good, I can always use it for candles!

Thanks. I'll give it a go and if it's no good, I can always use it for candles!

There's always an up side!

Try it at no more than 15%, 20% absolute maximum. I did a soap with 50% once and it wasn't exactly my best effort. Spare lather, waxy look and feel, but the stuff is almost immortal in the shower.

There's always an up side!

Try it at no more than 15%, 20% absolute maximum. I did a soap with 50% once and it wasn't exactly my best effort. Spare lather, waxy look and feel, but the stuff is almost immortal in the shower.

Thank you. I tried it, but only at 5% (I was scared!). I thought the soap would be rock hard (hardness number 45 in Soapcalc) but it isn't. I used a lot of sugar to ensure bubbles so it felt OK when I tested it. I'll let it cure and see what happens in a few weeks.

Thank you for your help.

83% Stearic acid and 17% coconut oil
30% water
Made with NaOH
No lye discount
Cold process.

DSC00876.jpg

Made about a year ago for laundry powder.
Have fun!

Latest posts

Back