Max % palm oil in CP?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMack

Reaction score
I’m considering venturing into using palm oil for my veggie recipe as I’m not happy with my current soap. I make a lard soap at 60% lard which I love. Is it a like for like swap when switching to palm?
TIA

Deb

With a bit of recipe reformulation, you could use soy wax + rice bran oil for a similar effect, that is still palm-free but doesn't break the bank/deter customers with tropical hard fats.
What's ironic about many palm haters is that they fail to acknowledge the devastating ecological/social footprint of substitutes (shea, cocoa, animal fats).

Are you selling? Only reason I ask is that it seems that people that prefer "veggie" soap are also the same people that frown upon using palm oil in soap.
No I’m not selling. I have veggie friends so I was simply wanting to be more inclusive I guess. Maybe gifting but I wasn’t interested in selling. Seems like selling takes the fun outta making

With a bit of recipe reformulation, you could use soy wax + rice bran oil for a similar effect, that is still palm-free but doesn't break the bank/deter customers with tropical hard fats.
What's ironic about many palm haters is that they fail to acknowledge the devastating ecological/social footprint of substitutes (shea, cocoa, animal fats).
🤣 I know. I think with some it’s a bandwagon things with little actual research done. I’ll look into the soy wax/ rice bran idea too thank you. Same sort of overall percentage? Seems I’m aiming for less than my lard recipe

Well, it's not that easy, that's why I have pointed to reformulation.
The soy wax part is a very good source of stearic acid, but it's more difficult to get grips to palmitic acid – the next best choice after palm, cocoa and animal fats is indeed RBO. But it comes with an elevated DOS risk (less headroom for poly-unsaturated ingredients (safflower, hemp etc.) if that's a concern for you).

You might have to free some soft oil budget for the RBO. That could mean, e. g., to replace 3 parts lard + 1 part olive oil by 3 parts RBO + 1 part soy wax, to end up with a comparable hardness.

There is a vivid SMF sub-community around soy wax and friends: Soy Wax Users eager to share their (or should I say “our” since I'm part of it?) experience with hydrogenated vegetable oils as hard fats.

Well, it's not that easy, that's why I have pointed to reformulation.
The soy wax part is a very good source of stearic acid, but it's more difficult to get grips to palmitic acid – the next best choice after palm, cocoa and animal fats is indeed RBO. But it comes with an elevated DOS risk (less headroom for poly-unsaturated ingredients (safflower, hemp etc.) if that's a concern for you).

You might have to free some soft oil budget for the RBO. That could mean, e. g., to replace 3 parts lard + 1 part olive oil by 3 parts RBO + 1 part soy wax, to end up with a comparable hardness.

There is a vivid SMF sub-community around soy wax and friends: Soy Wax Users eager to share their (or should I say “our” since I'm part of it?) experience with hydrogenated vegetable oils as hard fats.
Thanks for the link, much appreciated 👍🏻

I'm probably the outlier in that I don't like the feel of palm in soap and rarely use it (although I'm not opposed to using it). I'm a hard-core lardinator, with recipes ranging from 50% - 80% lard, and the occasional 100% lard for a few folks with very sensitive skin.

Would love to try soy wax but haven't gotten around to ordering it. My friends who want vegan soaps are ga-ga over Zany's No-Slime Castile. I make the version with 15% CO and 5% castor, plus coconut milk. If you haven't tried it yet, here is a link to her original thread, as well as my recent thread with the calculations for adding the correct proportions of salt and bicarb to create the equivalent of her faux sea water when using master-batched lye.

Latest posts

Back