Max FO usage?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much FO can be used before it negatively affects soap?

I'm making soap for MIL and she wants it strong as possible. The scent I'm using is safe up 17%
The most I've ever used is around 6%, could I double this without it making the soap soft? That would come out to 2 oz ppo

I haven’t gone over 6% either. I seem to remember someone - maybe @DeeAnna - saying at over about 8% the fragrance started seeping out of the soap. But I can’t recall for sure who it was or the amount used that caused trouble. I believe the discussion was related to adding the total amount of FO to only part of the batter to avoid discoloration, so that might be something to search.

I use one particular discoloring FO. What I've found is a small amount of this fragrance eventually weeps out if I scent at 10% based on the total weight of fats. If I scent the soap at 8%, it doesn't weep out.

Others say they don't have problems with using fragrance at 10%. So I think it's situational.

@dibbles -- :p Yes, it was an FO that I put in only part of the batter, so half was scented at 10% and the other half wasn't scented at all. So the average was a reasonable 5%. Just not an evenly spread out 5%.

Back