Matte Pigment Powder for CP Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimberly6891

Reaction score
Good Morning

I just purchased Matte Pigment Powder and I want to use it in my CP soap. (Its a sample kit with about 12 different colors).

I noticed that one of them, the White, has an Oil Based one and a Water Based. That confused me a little.

How should I prepare these to mix into my CP soap?

1) sprinkle directly into the soap
2) prepare in water on the side?
3) prepare in the oils on the side?

I'm confused...any feedback would be great.

***CAN COLOR BE ADDED TO LYE & OILS ONCE I TRACE?***

Last edited:
I generally mix my colorants in a bit of my oil from my batch. I use olive most times. If it's water soluable I would mix it in a bit of water. I use little bathroom cups and mix it up then add it to my batter when I'm ready to pour. I do mix a large container of my TD (oil based) which is in olive oil and make sure it's good and combined. Otherwise I sometimes endup with bits of it in my finished soap.

If it is oil based, does that mean you HAVE to mix in oil and not water? Most of them are water based, so I HAVE to mix them in water, (like you did in the little cups), before hand?

Yes, if its oil based you have to mix it with oils before adding it to your batter, same with the water based powders. If you add the powders directly to the batter, it can be streaky and speckled, not pretty at all.

It doesn't take much oil/water to dissolve the powders. I use roughly 1 teaspoon liquid for 1/4 tsp color. Make sure to mix well and make sure there isn't any lumps left.

Latest posts

Back