Masterbatching oils - how much at a time?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How frequently do you make soap? If the answer is “often,” then I don’t see why shelf life matters much, unless you make small batches and a very large master batch would last you several months.

I make 12,000 grams of mb fats at a time. My average soap batch size is 3,400g, not counting random smaller batches I might make for soap dough and such. So each mb lasts me three+ batches. Generally. My 12,000 will last at the MOST three months. And that’s being very conservative in my soaping regularity.

I say “go for it” and see a) how long each mb lasts you, b) your comfort level with master batching, and c) find a process that works for you. Don’t know until you try. 🤪

If it doesn’t work out, all you’ve lost is some fats or soap batches but you’ve gained experience and confidence. And if it DOES work out... 💪🤘🐯

My average soap batch size is 3,400g, not counting random smaller batches I might make for soap dough and such.
Wow, those are some serious batches!

I finally made a 10kg masterbatch yesterday. I figured my mould sizes at 180g, 270g and 360g for the ones I use most so that works out really well. Given that I make soap pretty much every day and sometimes more than that, it should last in the region of a month also, which is perfect.

(As long as I don't suddenly get tired of making soap! 😲)

IMG_20210412_135204.jpg
It only just about fit in the newly-vacated coconut oil tub so of course I had to use some straight away to reduce the risk of spillage when stirring! 😆

The actual mixing together of a large amount of ingredients isn't the issue, it's more about developing a good recipe and knowing it.
I've typically seen masterbatching questions come from makers who have their recipe established. And even if they don't, it's easy enough to modify a masterbatch with math. I don't think a year of soapmaking is a requirement for masterbatching, just an understanding of formulating - which most soapmakers will have decently under their belts after a dozen batches.

I've typically seen masterbatching questions come from makers who have their recipe established. And even if they don't, it's easy enough to modify a masterbatch with math. I don't think a year of soapmaking is a requirement for masterbatching, just an understanding of formulating - which most soapmakers will have decently under their belts after a dozen batches.

You must remember that there are those of us that could not modify a masterbatch to save our lives. If it weren't for lye calculators, I would never have been able to soap in the first place. I can, if forced, modify a batch while I am measuring oils and discover I lack enough of one oil, but never with a MB. Can't even begin to fathom where to begin to modify that. Truly.

I am not saying it will take a full year for someone to be able to be confident enough in their recipe to MB, but some of us with years of experience just lack the mathematics skills necessary to modify a MB.

it's easy enough to modify a masterbatch with math.

Yes and no. If I made a 50/50 Lye Solution and my recipe calls for a 33% Lye Solution with 4.49 oz water and 2.21 oz of lye, it is 'easy enough' to subtract 2.21 from 4.49 and know that I need to add 2.28 oz of water. But let's say that I'm not an experienced soap maker and I'm not a math wiz like you and I want to modify my recipe. We'll keep it easy...I currently use 10% Cocoa Butter and I want to increase it to 15%...how do I do that?

I don't think a year of soapmaking is a requirement for masterbatching, just an understanding of formulating - which most soapmakers will have decently under their belts after a dozen batches.

Then you would be fine with purchasing soap from someone who has only made a dozen batches?

I am not saying it will take a full year for someone to be able to be confident enough in their recipe to MB, but some of us with years of experience just lack the mathematics skills necessary to modify a MB.

And if you are MBing your oils and Lye Solution, especially for those of us who MB a ready-to-use Lye Solution, the math can be even more problematic.

I'm an accountant, numbers are kind of my jam, but I don't mess with my MB. If I want to modify my recipe, I just make a batch from scratch.

It's not difficult to uses mb lye solution and adjust for a different lye concentration when using a lye calculator that does the math for you based on your particular masterbatch ratios (of lye to water). Soapmaking Recipe Builder & Lye Calculator does that because it is built into the design and was diligently tested to assure accuracy during the design process.

In some cases, adding additional oils can fairly easily be calculated using a lye calculator, but that can be time consuming. I probably would just make up a new batch of oils rather than try manipulating the input in a lye calculator. I have yet to mb oils more than for a few immediate batches where the only changes might be color & fragrance.

It's not difficult to uses mb lye solution and adjust for a different lye concentration when using a lye calculator that does the math for you based on your particular masterbatch ratios (of lye to water). Soapmaking Recipe Builder & Lye Calculator does that because it is built into the design and was diligently tested to assure accuracy during the design process.

In some cases, adding additional oils can fairly easily be calculated using a lye calculator, but that can be time consuming. I probably would just make up a new batch of oils rather than try manipulating the input in a lye calculator. I have yet to mb oils more than for a few immediate batches where the only changes might be color & fragrance.

I could do the lye math easily enough, but I, too, would simply make a new batch of oils rather than trying to adjust once it is MB.

If I made a 50/50 Lye Solution and my recipe calls for a 33% Lye Solution with 4.49 oz water and 2.21 oz of lye, it is 'easy enough' to subtract 2.21 from 4.49 and know that I need to add 2.28 oz of water. But let's say that I'm not an experienced soap maker and I'm not a math wiz like you and I want to modify my recipe.
First, we are not talking about lye solution here, but oil masterbatching. Second of all, I find your tone rude and unnecessary.

hen you would be fine with purchasing soap from someone who has only made a dozen batches?
We aren't talking about purchasing soap. We are talking about masterbatching oils.
If the OP wants to masterbatch oils I find it frustrating that others have commented that OP does not have enough experience to do so. I have given the OP the advice that I felt he/she/zer would find relevant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back