masterbatching & lye calculators?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My usual masterbatch is enough for about 4 loaves. The last bit always causes me consternation. The remaining amount of lye-liquid is the determining amount so I start with that. But the calculators separate out the lye and liquid. So I keep having to go backwards and tweak the superfat or tweak the amount of oils, recalculate, etc., etc. I do tend to overcomplicate things so please hit me up if you have advice on using leftovers. Thanks!

^^Yup.

Enter your recipe in percentages into SMF's calculator.

Mark "yes" on the MB lye question.

Enter the water: lye ratio you used to create your MB.

Now, fiddle with the batch size until you reach the correct amount of MB lye solution. :)

SMF formulates using masterbatched lye. I haven't tried it in reverse, but it may be worth a look.

^^Yup.

Enter your recipe in percentages into SMF's calculator.

Mark "yes" on the MB lye question.

Enter the water: lye ratio you used to create your MB.

Now, fiddle with the batch size until you reach the correct amount of MB lye solution. :)
Thanks, both of you for these! Somehow I never noticed the percentages option! Game changer! I usually use BB or soapcalc but now will be looking at the one here. Have a good week!

My usual masterbatch is enough for about 4 loaves. The last bit always causes me consternation. The remaining amount of lye-liquid is the determining amount so I start with that. But the calculators separate out the lye and liquid. So I keep having to go backwards and tweak the superfat or tweak the amount of oils, recalculate, etc., etc. I do tend to overcomplicate things so please hit me up if you have advice on using leftovers. Thanks!
Lately, after I do a lye water master batch, I split it up into smaller containers, the size I need for standard batches. (16 Oz or 32 Oz of oils). I write with a marker for how many Oz of oils it is. It makes it easier because I don’t have to weigh out anything when I want to make soap (I try to do the same with the oils). But I do have more containers to wash later and hanging about so that is the trade off.

I masterbatch my water/lye at 2/1, which is how I use it in almost all of my recipes. Leftovers are never a problem,
because as I run low, I just add more water and lye as needed.

I don't MasterBatch for specific amounts of soap...I just make up 40lbs of oils because that is what I can comfortably move around. From there, I have a spreadsheet that contains a list of every mold I own and columns that tell me how much Oils, Lye Solution (ready-to-use) and FO. I then just pick whatever mold I want to use, weigh out my oils, lye and scent and make soap.

When I get down to about 4" of Oils in bucket, I transfer it to a smaller bucket and then make up another 40lb batch. If I run short with what's left in the smaller bucket, I just grab the balance from the larger bucket...rinse and repeat. Never had a problem.

And it's the much the same with my Lye Solution. I simply make enough to fill a 1 gallon jug about three-quarters full and then it get low, I have a second 1 gallon jug and will make up another batch of ready-to-use. And like with my oils...if I run short, I just grab the next jug...never had a problem.

Hi all, I have never Masterbatched before but would like to try it. I took the advice above about using SMF to calculate your Masterbatch, but I am really confused as to why the liquid says zero? Below is the recipe as well as the calculations input. Am I supposed to take the lye amount listed and double that amount for the water? What am I missing?

Attachments

• D2AC7292-9311-45AB-89DD-3A39EC8CD0AF.jpeg
    D2AC7292-9311-45AB-89DD-3A39EC8CD0AF.jpeg
    383.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 076D1C55-2E12-456B-802E-0CF3F4781EBB.png
    076D1C55-2E12-456B-802E-0CF3F4781EBB.png
    838.5 KB · Views: 0
Hi all, I have never Masterbatched before but would like to try it. I took the advice above about using SMF to calculate your Masterbatch, but I am really confused as to why the liquid says zero? Below is the recipe as well as the calculations input. Am I supposed to take the lye amount listed and double that amount for the water? What am I missing?
If you are using 50/50 masterbatch lye solution in the calculator you want to enter 1:1 in the masterbatch tab. Also, enter in the Lye Concentration you want to use.

If you masterbatch at the same lye concentration that you intend to use for the soap, the extra liquid number is always going to be zero. Remember, the masterbatch weight in the recipe printout includes both the liquid and the lye together in one number - because you have mixed those things together.

In your recipe printout above, the extra liquid box says zero because you put in 2:1 as the strength of your masterbatch, and put in 33% lye concentration. Those are both the same thing. Did you actually masterbatch at 2:1 (33%), or at 1:1 (50%)?

I was planning to Masterbatch at my normal strength, 2:1. I rarely use anything other than water as my liquid

That's great, makes things very simple for you. The amount of lye masterbatch that is shown is all the "liquid" that you will add then - no additional liquid needed.

I would do that, as well, but I like to add sodium citrate and sorbitol to my soaps, and both need additional liquid to dissolve well. They do not dissolve well at all in water if NaOH has been added first.

I'm not that familiar with the SMF calculator. I use SoapCalc...I just have my regular recipe saved with my Lye Concentration, SuperFat and FO and then tell it how much my Oil Weight is, Calculate, View Recipe and then go from there. I usually make around 40lbs of MB'd oils in 4-10lb lots since that is what my pot to melt oils comfortably holds. And I make up my Ready-to-Use Lye Solution in the same manner.

I know a lot of folks who MB their Lye Solution as 50/50, but I don't want to do the extra math...though it wouldn't be hard since I use a spreadsheet. For it's just an extra step and for me, the whole reason I MB is to simplify the process.

I'm not that familiar with the SMF calculator. I use SoapCalc...I just have my regular recipe saved with my Lye Concentration, SuperFat and FO and then tell it how much my Oil Weight is, Calculate, View Recipe and then go from there. I usually make around 40lbs of MB'd oils in 4-10lb lots since that is what my pot to melt oils comfortably holds. And I make up my Ready-to-Use Lye Solution in the same manner.

I know a lot of folks who MB their Lye Solution as 50/50, but I don't want to do the extra math...though it wouldn't be hard since I use a spreadsheet. For it's just an extra step and for me, the whole reason I MB is to simplify the process.
Thank you, @TheGecko. I’m excited to try it as it becomes cumbersome lugging all of my batch supplies upstairs every time I want to soap—which is always, apparently

As my masterbatch lye solution has approached the end of its life (i.e., I'm almost out), I'm wondering what to do with the remainder, which is not enough for a full--even small--batch of soap. So I came to SMF to see if anyone has addressed this.

I thought I came to the right place in this thread but I'm still not sure, so here is my question: can a person just make a new masterbatch at the same ratio as the original and add it to the original? Or would the difference in the "age" of each solution be a factor over time? (People have said their solutions are good for about three months. If I keep adding new to the old, then part of the solution will always be old. And I don't know if that's okay.)

can a person just make a new masterbatch at the same ratio as the original and add it to the original? Or would the difference in the "age" of each solution be a factor over time? (People have said their solutions are good for about three months. If I keep adding new to the old, then part of the solution will always be old. And I don't know if that's okay.)
You could, but why? I always have two jugs of Ready-To-Use Lye Solution. If I need 26.38oz and one jug only contains 15.47oz, I just pick up the second jug and continue to pour. Then I make up another Masterbatch and refill the first jug.

I've had MB'd Lye Solution around for longer than six months and never had a problem with making soap with it. Just don't let it get too cold or too hot and keep the lid tightly closed and you're good.

You could, but why? I always have two jugs of Ready-To-Use Lye Solution.
Thanks TheGecko! And that is exactly why: I don't have a huge soap-making space (I do it mostly for fun, not profit) and don't want to have two containers sitting around because I don't really have room for two. But it's good to know that until I do have more room, or organize the room I do have better, it's not a big deal to just add more to the original batch.

Back