masterbatching & lye calculators?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

Reaction score
My usual masterbatch is enough for about 4 loaves. The last bit always causes me consternation. The remaining amount of lye-liquid is the determining amount so I start with that. But the calculators separate out the lye and liquid. So I keep having to go backwards and tweak the superfat or tweak the amount of oils, recalculate, etc., etc. I do tend to overcomplicate things so please hit me up if you have advice on using leftovers. Thanks!

Reaction score
^^Yup.

Enter your recipe in percentages into SMF's calculator.

Mark "yes" on the MB lye question.

Enter the water: lye ratio you used to create your MB.

Now, fiddle with the batch size until you reach the correct amount of MB lye solution. :)

Reaction score
SMF formulates using masterbatched lye. I haven't tried it in reverse, but it may be worth a look.

^^Yup.

Enter your recipe in percentages into SMF's calculator.

Mark "yes" on the MB lye question.

Enter the water: lye ratio you used to create your MB.

Now, fiddle with the batch size until you reach the correct amount of MB lye solution. :)
Thanks, both of you for these! Somehow I never noticed the percentages option! Game changer! I usually use BB or soapcalc but now will be looking at the one here. Have a good week!

Reaction score
My usual masterbatch is enough for about 4 loaves. The last bit always causes me consternation. The remaining amount of lye-liquid is the determining amount so I start with that. But the calculators separate out the lye and liquid. So I keep having to go backwards and tweak the superfat or tweak the amount of oils, recalculate, etc., etc. I do tend to overcomplicate things so please hit me up if you have advice on using leftovers. Thanks!
Lately, after I do a lye water master batch, I split it up into smaller containers, the size I need for standard batches. (16 Oz or 32 Oz of oils). I write with a marker for how many Oz of oils it is. It makes it easier because I don’t have to weigh out anything when I want to make soap (I try to do the same with the oils). But I do have more containers to wash later and hanging about so that is the trade off.

Carly B

Reaction score
I masterbatch my water/lye at 2/1, which is how I use it in almost all of my recipes. Leftovers are never a problem,
because as I run low, I just add more water and lye as needed.

TheGecko

Reaction score
I don't MasterBatch for specific amounts of soap...I just make up 40lbs of oils because that is what I can comfortably move around. From there, I have a spreadsheet that contains a list of every mold I own and columns that tell me how much Oils, Lye Solution (ready-to-use) and FO. I then just pick whatever mold I want to use, weigh out my oils, lye and scent and make soap.

When I get down to about 4" of Oils in bucket, I transfer it to a smaller bucket and then make up another 40lb batch. If I run short with what's left in the smaller bucket, I just grab the balance from the larger bucket...rinse and repeat. Never had a problem.

And it's the much the same with my Lye Solution. I simply make enough to fill a 1 gallon jug about three-quarters full and then it get low, I have a second 1 gallon jug and will make up another batch of ready-to-use. And like with my oils...if I run short, I just grab the next jug...never had a problem.

Latest posts