Masterbatch titanium dioxide

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakropelnicki

Reaction score
how fo you masterbatch large quantities of TD? Are the soap making videos I see on YouTube show soap makers using a squeeze bottle of TD that looks like it’s mixed in a large quantity and used as needed

I have done this but not with great results. The TD settles in the water between uses and hardens there. Even though you do get white water when you shake it the majority of TD sticks on the bottom. I even put some glass "stones" in the squeeze bottle thinking that would help stir it up good when I shake it......the stones also got stuck in the bottom.

I use water soluble TD in a squeeze bottle with two marbles in it. The TD settles at the bottom as @soapmaker said, but with the marbles I can tell when it has loosened up because I can hear them start to rattle, so I "swish" my bottle until I hear the marbles rattle and then continue for a good 30 seconds so that I know it's good and mixed again. I say "swish" my bottle because it's not a good squeeze bottle, so the cap doesn't fit nicely and if I shake it it sprays from under the lid. I tried it with one marble, but it didn't seem to mix as well as it does with two. I wonder if Soapmaker's stones are not round and that is why they stay stuck?

Oh, maybe that is why. Marbles might work better. I put way more than 2 in there but they were not perfectly round and they ALL stuck. What ratio of water to TD do you use? (Even good squeeze bottles from a kitchen store leak at the cap)

Here is a short video of how to pre-mix TD:

She mentions using water or oil, but you can also use glycerin, depending on which TD you buy. I also use a 'mixing ball' in my pre-mix. I couldn't find ball bearings locally, so I bought steel fishing weights. Price-wise, that was a good deal and they were easy to find, whereas ball bearings, which I expected to find in our hardware store, were not.

Regarding which bottle to use, I used one with a cap over the tip and prefer see-through so I know how much is left and the color of my pre-mixed colorants. The flip top style might be better, though.

Here are two other videos. The first uses a different bottles and names her source. The second uses different 'mixing inserts.'

I think my current mix is 2 TBSP TD to 4-5 ounces of water. I don't fill my bottle more than half full so I have room for mixing, and because I'm not heavy handed with white so it takes me a while to get through it.

Would a steel ball cause a reaction or contamination in soap? I went with marbles because they're not metal so I wouldn't have to worry about that contributing to DOS.

I think my current mix is 2 TBSP TD to 4-5 ounces of water. I don't fill my bottle more than half full so I have room for mixing, and because I'm not heavy handed with white so it takes me a while to get through it.

Would a steel ball cause a reaction or contamination in soap? I went with marbles because they're not metal so I wouldn't have to worry about that contributing to DOS.
Not if it's stainless steel

I pre mix mine with water and use stainless balls to mix it in the bottle. Bigger than nail polish beads. But stainless.
I used Stainless steel balls in my TD also, and they rusted:(. I went back to Amazon to make sure I ordered stainless steel they were. I'm going to try the marbles:)

I use several "candle marbles" - the flattened glass beads marketed to surround candles. They're big enough that even if they get "stuck" in settled TD, they'll shake loose and mix things up pretty quickly. And no chance of DOS. I normally use a 1:2 or 1:3 ratio of TD:Water, which knock on wood, hasn't given me rivers yet.

I use water soluble TD in a squeeze bottle with two marbles in it. The TD settles at the bottom as @soapmaker said, but with the marbles I can tell when it has loosened up because I can hear them start to rattle, so I "swish" my bottle until I hear the marbles rattle and then continue for a good 30 seconds so that I know it's good and mixed again. I say "swish" my bottle because it's not a good squeeze bottle, so the cap doesn't fit nicely and if I shake it it sprays from under the lid. I tried it with one marble, but it didn't seem to mix as well as it does with two. I wonder if Soapmaker's stones are not round and that is why they stay
I use several "candle marbles" - the flattened glass beads marketed to surround candles. They're big enough that even if they get "stuck" in settled TD, they'll shake loose and mix things up pretty quickly. And no chance of DOS. I normally use a 1:2 or 1:3 ratio of TD:Water, which knock on wood, hasn't given me rivers yet.

What is the shelf life of the TD:water solution?

Back