Masterbatch gone wrong !!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LISA BRITT

Reaction score
yesterday I made 10 pounds of Lemongrass EO soap with my masterbatched lye. I was soaping at room temp. so I wasn't concerned that it was coming to trace slowly. After it reached trace I mixed in my poppy seeds and poured it into my mold. After 10 min. I remembered that I didn't measure the correct amount of lye solution. Soooooo.
I scooped the soap batter back into the pot and mixed in the rest of the lye solution. I'm concerned that I may not have mixed it well enough. I just took it out of the mold. But I fear there will be pockets of lye in it. Should I just rebatch this soap in the crock-pot to to save it?

Attachments

• 20200427_163010.jpg
    20200427_163010.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 34
"...But I fear there will be pockets of lye in it. ..."

It sounds like you haven't actually cut into it yet. If you haven't, I'd say maybe you should think about doing that? I'd be impatient to find out one way or the other.

Are you actually seeing pockets and weeping liquid? How does the bottom look?

The top looks fine. The cracking appears to be from a bit of overheating -- a cosmetic issue.

I cut the soap into logs and see wet spots. Could this be lye pockets? If so, can I save it by re-batch ? I would be sick to my stomach if I cant save it.
Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• 20200427_170730.jpg
    20200427_170730.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 20200427_171309.jpg
    20200427_171309.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200427_171441.jpg
    20200427_171441.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 27
Absolutely agree. Wait until you cut it then go from there. I bet it will be fine.
Thanks for the encouragement. I posted pictures of the cut soap and see wet spot. Please take a look and tell me what you think.
Thanks in advance

"...But I fear there will be pockets of lye in it. ..."

It sounds like you haven't actually cut into it yet. If you haven't, I'd say maybe you should think about doing that? I'd be impatient to find out one way or the other.

Are you actually seeing pockets and weeping liquid? How does the bottom look?

The top looks fine. The cracking appears to be from a bit of overheating -- a cosmetic issue.
Hi DeeAnna,
Thanks for your response to my question. I posted pictures of the cut soap. I think my fear may be true as I see wet spots. Please take a look and tell me what you think. Thanks in advance

The soap is fine. Let it sit for a few days and all will be well. Sometimes soap can be dampish, but I don't see anything to be concerned about. Just give it time.

Latest posts

Back