Master batching oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course. Melt it gently and mix just like you would with all liquid oils.

I guess I should have asked a more specific question...my fault sorry...
If I make this master batch with CO and OO, will the CO solidify and will I have to warm up the entire bottle each time I go to use it? Will the oils combine and stay that way?

Yes, the CO will probably harden up again. That's what happened when I master batched my oils. I had lard, CO, OO, and castor. I anticipated that happening, so I put it into smaller containers. Since I usually make 2# batches at a time, I master batched in a huge pot and blended everything well, then poured into the 2# batches. When I wanted to make soap, I just pulled a container, heated it up if it needed to be and made soap. It's easier (for me) than pulling all the oils and lard out to weigh everything.

Yes, the CO will probably harden up again. That's what happened when I master batched my oils. I had lard, CO, OO, and castor. I anticipated that happening, so I put it into smaller containers. Since I usually make 2# batches at a time, I master batched in a huge pot and blended everything well, then poured into the 2# batches. When I wanted to make soap, I just pulled a container, heated it up if it needed to be and made soap. It's easier (for me) than pulling all the oils and lard out to weigh everything.
That's what I was concerned about...I didn't want to haul out a huge jug to warm up the oils each time...but I didn't think of separating the oils into batches...I could put them in a wide mouth quart canning jar...I got a ton of those! Thanks for all the info!

I have only had a problem with my palm/lard/co/butter solidifying when my basement is really cold. The OO/castor/avocado keep mine liquid until temps hit 70 and below.

But I have lately gotten enough 2.5 liter paint pails with lids from home depot that I can just weigh out 4 or 5 batches into individual buckets. They fit in my microwave so I can give then a like to warm them if need be.

The real time saver is the lye master batch.

That's what I was concerned about...I didn't want to haul out a huge jug to warm up the oils each time...but I didn't think of separating the oils into batches...I could put them in a wide mouth quart canning jar...I got a ton of those! Thanks for all the info!

That's what I do with my palm oil. Much easier to manage that way.

If you aren't getting fancy with the swirls, you can use the heat transfer method to melt your oils once you have your oils master-batched in batch sized containers. Just be sure to master-batch in something heat and lye proof. Not glass jars.

If you aren't getting fancy with the swirls, you can use the heat transfer method to melt your oils once you have your oils master-batched in batch sized containers. Just be sure to master-batch in something heat and lye proof. Not glass jars.
I'm not sure what your saying here...I wasn't planning on putting any lye in the jars, just using the jars to heat up the oils...knowing this can I still use my mason jars?

Back