Master batching mistakes?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judiraz

Reaction score
I did a master batch to do two batches of a similar technique. I master batched the lye and oils and then separated them into 2 batches. I stirred both the oils and lye well to make sure they were well dispersed.

The first batch had BBs Ginger Ale as a FO and I soaped at 80-90F.

The second used BBs Neroli & Shea Blossom and since it was second it soaped at about 78- 82F.

I unmolded 24 hrs later. The first batch is softer and is zappy. The second is hard, not zappy, and cut beautifully. Why the difference? I'm thinking gel vs non gel, but really do't know since I covered and left them alone. BTW, they are on the same tray, covered the same.

I don't have a clue. My first reaction was that the oils had separated, but then I read that you had stirred both the lye and the oils well, I am assuming this was before you divided the batches.

Troubleshooting:

Did you divide both the lye and oil using a scale?
Is it possible that you forgot to double the master batched lye solution?

It does sound like a "gel vs. ungel" soap to me.

Its possible that the first FO does not cause any extra heat to be generated but that the second FO does. Especially since its a floral fragrance it may have more of a likelihood to heat up and/or accelerate which would cause the soap with that FO to gel but, not the other soap.

Thanks, I was thinking FO as well. The soft batch was still soft this AM, but not as zappy. Maybe it will be OK with time

I would guess fo also. When I am going to do more than one batch the same I just measured out into separate buckets so all measurements are the same. It just does not take long to measure out oils in a bucket for one batch or 4 batches, then you know the measurements are correct. As for master batching lye, I always materbatch a couple of gallons of lye solution, 50/50, at a time. You just have to remember to use double the amount of required lye, since you are working with half water half lye.
The magic number for zappy soap is 72 hrs, by then it should have quit zapping, or if it is actually lye heavy it can take a few months to quit zapping

Back