Master Batching Lye - still have questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. 🌸

I’ve done my homework and read @DeeAnna terrific Soapy Things and the referenced SMF threads and still have questions specific to my process.

1. Can I MB Lye with Aloe Vera Juice? I use AVJ as a full water replacement to increase bubbles (thanks @KiwiMoose - I am soooo happy with the results!). I would not want to sacrifice the results of the AVJ for the benefit of MB lye.

I hope the answer to #1 is yes, but….. if just like vinegar, it is a no -
2. Can you use less than 50% distilled water for your MB? I know it changes the math - but say 100% lye in 25% of my liquid? Then I could add the missing 75% as AVJ and maybe that wouldn’t degrade my bubbles too much?

Currently, I reconstitute GM powder in AVJ and freeze it into cubes to weigh out for each batch. My lye container sits in an ice water bath while I slowly add my lye in small amounts so I don’t scorch the GM.
I’m imagining how much more efficient I could be if I could MB my lye - I could avoid the ice bath, making GM/AVJ ice cubes, and not need to take the time to slowly add the lye.

And just confirming, if I do use MB lye, it’s already all cooled and doesn’t heat back up when mixing with the extra liquid? I should have paid more attention in school, but the chemical reaction has already happened and isn’t reactivated, right? Then I could just mix my GM powder into the AVJ and then put the MB lye straight in with no risk of scorching?

Really love MB my oils (about 5 batches at a time), so I’m hoping I can crack this nut about lye.
Thanks 😊

1. Can't answer your question about aloe vera juice. It might be a reasonable thing to use AVJ in place of plain water, but I can't give any advice based on actual experience, whether mine or other's.

2. You cannot use less water by weight than the weight of dry NaOH. If you try to use less water than this, the NaOH won't fully dissolve. A 50% lye concentration is as concentrated as is realistic.

That said, AVJ is about 98% water from what I'm seeing in a quick search. So it's a reasonable substitute for plain water if the other non-water 2% doesn't cause problems.

Your MB lye solution will heat up if you add more liquid to it. So, either add your additional water to the oils, or don’t add it to the lye solution until right before pouring the mix into your oils.

Also, you don’t have to reconstitute your GMP at all. You can stickblend it straight into your oils. I find that much easier. 😊

@DeeAnna @AliOop @The_Phoenix and anyone else…. Can you please check my thinking? Here I am still trying to wrap my head around masterbatching lye.
DeeAnna, I wasn’t getting it last night trying to do math and trying to understand your soapy stuff directions - I know it’s not that hard but my brain wasn’t having it. But this morning, I had an insight! 💡

So if I have my fats formula down and masterbatch them for about 4 soaping sessions worth, I would like to make enough lye solution for oils. I have a good laundry detergent container to use that should hold 8 batches or so worth once I’ve got this down, but let’s start with a small masterbatch and be sure I understand….

I ran 3000g (3 soaping sessions) of my masterbatch oils though SMF calculator and set my lye concentration to 50%. See picture:
A2407438-0BF3-4738-AFCE-53B1DAD7C941.jpeg

Based on this info, am I correct in my thinking that these lye and liquid quantities are correct to make a masterbatch of 50/50 lye solution?

Then, to make a batch of soap, I would set the calculator for my 1000g (or whatever qty), set my masterbatch lye to yes with 1:1, set my lye concentration to my normal 35% and measure out the master batch lye and the additional liquid as shown? See picture:
134AF382-23D0-4B96-ACEB-C0EBF2F48C40.jpeg

I am hoping that my thinking is right, but please please double check me. Appreciate your help more than you know 🌸🌸🌸

I have a good laundry detergent container to use that should hold 8 batches or so worth once I’ve got this down,
Gahh! This is awesome! I just recycled my last detergent container two weeks ago, it had never occurred to me that I could have used it for a small masterbatch for lye! I guess I'll be haunting my neighborhood recycle bins now, looking for one!

Latest posts

Back