Master batching- gone a bit awry

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixiedragon

Reaction score
So, I decided to try my hand at masterbatching. Baby steps - my plan was to make a giant pot of oils and divide it into my empty lard buckets. So I was going to make a big pot containing oils for 5 7# batches. Well, my big pot won't hold all of the oils, which I just discovered after I'd melted the coconut and lard together. So...I guess I'll pour it into the buckets and then add the other oils.

I think I need to master the oils part before I move into masterbatching lye.

Funny, master batching the oils is the part I haven't done yet.

I have a few different recipes I draw from so I don't like to limit myself with melting all of the oils together in a master batch. However, I understand where you're coming from!

I find master batching lye is way easier than prepping it each time. I only deal with the mixing once! It does make me do more math though. But, I'm ok with that! I get when people aren't as inclined especially with the lye.

Yeah, I have taken to just making up 4 or 5 buckets of my palm and my lard recipes each. I really love those 2.5 quart home depot containers.

I masterbatch mine into a 5 gallon bucket with a spigot. I tried to do the same as you the first time and it was an epic fail on my part. I melt my hard oils first before adding it to my bucket. Then the soft oils. If the mixture is too thick for some reason when I'm ready to use it I will mix it well and just scoop it out.

Funny, master batching the oils is the part I haven't done yet.

I have a few different recipes I draw from so I don't like to limit myself with melting all of the oils together in a master batch. However, I understand where you're coming from!

I find master batching lye is way easier than prepping it each time. I only deal with the mixing once! It does make me do more math though. But, I'm ok with that! I get when people aren't as inclined especially with the lye.

I have 6 dogs, 2 cats and a 5 year old nephew with ADHD. So I am waaay to scared to have lye water sitting around! Maybe one day I will get one of those stainless steel tanks.

I have several recipes I use, but this is my main one.

I have 6 dogs, 2 cats and a 5 year old nephew with ADHD.

All of them have ADHD? Oh your poor soul! The cats must really be a handful! :) I am sorry about the nephew tho.

So I am waaay to scared to have lye water sitting around! Maybe one day I will get one of those stainless steel tanks.

So, how is the lye water sitting around any more dangerous than lye crystals? You can keep them in the same place, out of reach of paws and hands.

The lye crystals are in a plastic jar with a screw-on lid. I don't have a spare jar for lye water. Once I empty a lye crystal jar it will become a lye water jar, I think. I mix my lye in pitchers and I don't have lids for them.

ETA: And cats and dogs by their very nature all have ADHD - especially Labs! And the cat who lives in the basement (her choice, not ours) is already tough to keep out of the soaping oils.

So, how is the lye water sitting around any more dangerous than lye crystals? You can keep them in the same place, out of reach of paws and hands.

I can think of many reasons why lye crystal spill is more manageable than a lye water spill, can you?

I can think of many reasons why lye crystal spill is more manageable than a lye water spill, can you?

Sure. On the other hand I can also think of many reasons a lye solution spill would be more manageable than a lye crystal spill. They both have their advantages and disadvantages.

So, not having a container with a lid is obviously a good reason not to do it right now. You would not want to have the solution constantly exposed to air anyway.

I have 6 dogs, 2 cats and a 5 year old nephew with ADHD. So I am waaay to scared to have lye water sitting around! Maybe one day I will get one of those stainless steel tanks.

Oh my! I completely understand now. I have a 4 L HDPE jug that is used for chemical solvents that I use for my master batched lye. I feel it's very safe in there so I totally get why you wouldn't want to make it up if you don't have a container you feel comfortable with. Especially with the children and pets around. I have 2 elderly dogs that aren't interested in anything soaping related.

If lye beads spill, you can clean them up without adding water. In a humid environment they will react but at least if you are swift in cleaning up, damage will be minimal. A lye solution however, would need to be cleaned up with some kind of absorbent and would react much more quickly as it is already dissolved. Both have their hazards of course.

Back