master-batched lye 50/50 adding coconut milk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orla

Reaction score
Dear all, I have searched this forum and I see several suggestions about adding the coconut milk to the oils. Previously, I've added the coconut milk (making up water difference) to the lye solution (at room temperature) and it turns orange, but everything works out fine. Last night, I stood in front of my heated oils - cooled to 40° (104° F) - and had to say "do it! do it! out loud to give myself the courage to pour the coconut milk into the oils. I did it and my fears were realised: it looked like the coconut milk curdled in a way - it all split up. I SB'd it and it went back to a uniform texture. However, now that I have unmoulded

20200705_113606[1].jpg
the soap I can see it has a slightly granular texture. I'm not worried about the soap, but I am just wondering how one does actually add coconut milk to oils. If I had let the temperature of the oils go down to 30° (86°F) would things have gone more smoothly (pun involuntary)? I have also seen suggestions about adding it at trace. My coconut milk is pure - no additives (60% coco, 40% water).
I want to stick with my master-batching lye system. I'm just puzzled as to how people manage to mix coconut milk with the oils... Thank you in advance for any advice.... I wish a nice Sunday to everyone!

I will be following your post. I finally made a coconut milk soap last night. I dumped my coconut milk in with the oils but my lye was cooled to about 85F. I didn't notice any curdling but I am a new soaper. I put unsweetened shredded coconut on top of my soap, sprayed with 91% and covered with saran wrap. My soap got hot and may be only the 2nd time out of 10 soaps that I feel my soap might gel. I am excited about removing from the mold but I think I will have to wait more than 24 hours to do so.

it has a slightly granular texture. I'm not worried about the soap, but I am just wondering how one does actually add coconut milk to oils. If I had let the temperature of the oils go down to 30° (86°F) would things have gone more smoothly (pun involuntary)? I have also seen suggestions about adding it at trace. My coconut milk is pure - no additives (60% coco, 40% water).
I want to stick with my master-batching lye system. I'm just puzzled as to how people manage to mix coconut milk with the oils... Thank you in advance for any advice.... I wish a nice Sunday to everyone!
I would just stick blend the oil and coconut milk slightly longer, and Yes, IMO I would soap a little cooler.

Adding at trace really doesn't do much (or anything really) with having any benifits from the milk survive saponification and cure, and you run the risk of not getting it mixed in. With only a 50/50 lye solution going in before getting to trace, things are going to get weird fast. LOL Meaning, they will move extremely fast and you won't have time to really do swirls or anything extra. And again, the milk may not get fully incorporated.

I make a Coconut Milk Salt Soap, but I freeze my CM and mix with my lye in an ice bath. Holly at Missouri River Soaps adds her CM to room temp oils/butter and SBs it in well, then adds her room temp lye solution.

I just stickblend mine right into my warmed oils either right before or just after adding the lye, and it all goes well. Whether I soap hotter 110F/43.3C - 120F/48.8C) or cooler (100F/37.7C), or whether I use fresh or powdered mixed with water, it always stickblends in smoothly for me.

My remedy for ricing/curdling is to stickblend the beegeebees out of it, even going so far as to place my soap pot on the stove over medium to medium-low heat if need be until it all comes together/smooths out again.

IrishLass :)

Ah, thank you Irish Lass. Pleased to know I didn't invent the problem!!! have a nice... let me check... evening! from Orla

I just stickblend mine right into my warmed oils either right before or just after adding the lye, and it all goes well. Whether I soap hotter 110F/43.3C - 120F/48.8C) or cooler (100F/37.7C), or whether I use fresh or powdered mixed with water, it always stickblends in smoothly for me.

My remedy for ricing/curdling is to stickblend the beegeebees out of it, even going so far as to place my soap pot on the stove over medium to medium-low heat if need be until it all comes together/smooths out again.

IrishLass :)
Wow that's phenomenal for me... thx for d tip 💕🙏🏼

Latest posts

Back