Master batch lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunibee

Reaction score
I have a wierd doubt. I master batched my lye for the first time .. I know lye corrodes/ eats most everything.. but can I leave the solution out or must I refrigirate it.. I started making CP embeds ..and I must say I ma thoroughly enjoying it ..
Thank you 🙏🏻🙏🏻

Do NOT refrigerate NaOH solution. If the masterbatch lye concentration is anywhere from 33% to 50%, keep the lye solution at least 65 F / 18 C or warmer, which is pretty much room temperature for most people.

You will really regret it if the lye solution gets too cool. The sodium hydroxide will precipitate out (become solid) when the mixture gets too cold. It is much better to prevent the problem from happening, rather than have to fix it.

It is also important to keep the lye solution in an alkali safe container -- polypropylene or high density polyethylene is good -- that has a secure, leak proof cap.

And keep the container tightly closed at all times unless you are actively working with the lye solution. If you leave the lye solution exposed to the open air, it will absorb water from the air and react with carbon dioxide gas in the air. Both of these things will reduce the concentration of NaOH, which is not good.

Do NOT refrigerate NaOH solution. If the masterbatch lye concentration is anywhere from 33% to 50%, keep the lye solution at least 65 F / 18 C or warmer, which is pretty much room temperature for most people.

You will really regret it if the lye solution gets too cool. The sodium hydroxide will precipitate out (become solid) when the mixture gets too cold. It is much better to prevent the problem from happening, rather than have to fix it.

It is also important to keep the lye solution in an alkali safe container -- polypropylene or high density polyethylene is good -- that has a secure, leak proof cap.

And keep the container tightly closed at all times unless you are actively working with the lye solution. If you leave the lye solution exposed to the open air, it will absorb water from the air and react with carbon dioxide gas in the air. Both of these things will reduce the concentration of NaOH, which is not good.
Thank you so much DeeAnna. Will keep that in mind . Good thing I left it out 🙏🏻🙏🏻

If some of the NaOH in your lye solution has precipitated due to it being too cold, you have to warm the solution in a hot water bath, break up the sheet of precipitated NaOH, and get the bits of solid NaOH to dissolve again.

A person can add additional water to speed the process of re-dissolving the NaOH, but if you do that, you will reduce the NaOH concentration, so you will have to keep track of the amount of water added, ensure you don't add more water than makes sense for your soap making, and recalculate the lye solution concentration you end up with.

If some of the NaOH in your lye solution has precipitated due to it being too cold, you have to warm the solution in a hot water bath, break up the sheet of precipitated NaOH, and get the bits of solid NaOH to dissolve again.

A person can add additional water to speed the process of re-dissolving the NaOH, but if you do that, you will reduce the NaOH concentration, so you will have to keep track of the amount of water added, ensure you don't add more water than makes sense for your soap making, and recalculate the lye solution concentration you end up with.
Thank you DeeAnna .. my lye solution is clear . There is no lint as well .. I kept it covered. I use a stainless steel jug . And waited till it reached room temp ,. Then I poured it into a plastic bottle . for storage .

:eek:
And how can we fix precipitation in cold room temperature? I suppose it would be even worse with citric acid, sugar, salt etc...
Just to be clear, most folks don't add those things into the master-batched lye solution. They are dissolved in the additional liquid that is used for the recipe. :)

Just to be clear, most folks don't add those things into the master-batched lye solution. They are dissolved in the additional liquid that is used for the recipe. :)
I actually read on someone's blog.. they add silk to the master batch and it's turned out fine . But other than that nothing else

Yes, I do add silk to my master-batched lye - thanks for reminding me! But nothing else: not citric acid, sugar, or salt.
I add the sorbitol to the lye while making soap. Nad I add SL to my oils it's perfectly fine

Sounds very similar to me... I dissolve my sodium citrate, sorbitol, and sodium lactate in my additional water, which is then blended into my oils before I add the MB lye solution. Otherwise, if I add the additional liquid (with additives) directly to the lye solution, it starts heating up again before I even get it into the soap. I like to soap cool, so this is what works for me. :)

Hmmmm….never read that. I don’t think I have an issue but I’m about to go search.😬😬 Thank you.
It always made me scratch my head; how could any mold, bacteria, or other bad stuff grow in such a strong alkali solution? But without some solid scientific explanation one way or the other, I haven't wanted to risk it.

I Master Batch my Lye Solution...33% ready to use. I mix approximately 134.0 oz in two containers at the kitchen sink with the window open. After the Sodium Hydroxide has thoroughly dissolved and is clear, I cover it with a tea towel to cool down. I then pour it into a food grade gallon jug that I purchased from my local soap supplier that is well marked all over in black Sharpie. It fills the jug about 2/3s full. I then put the jug in my soap cart (rolling kitchen island); bottom shelf, in back. It doesn't get too hot or too cold.

I do not add anything to my Lye Solution. It is a simple matter to pour it and then add my Sodium Lactate to it. If I want to add sugar, I simply dissolve it in a tablespoon of hot water and add to me oils. Same with Tussah Silk. I don't know if adding anything to my MB's Lye Solution would contaminate or not, but given that Distilled Water can be hard to find sometimes, I choose not to chance it.

You will want to 1) make sure you replace the cap ASAP. And 2) periodically wipe the mouth of your jug and your lid as the Lye Solution will 'dry' and form crusties. You don't want the crusties falling on your counter or in your soap and it will effect the tightness of the lid and possible degrade your Solution.

I have had Lye Solution around for a good six months doing with no issues.

I Master Batch my Lye Solution...33% ready to use. I mix approximately 134.0 oz in two containers at the kitchen sink with the window open. After the Sodium Hydroxide has thoroughly dissolved and is clear, I cover it with a tea towel to cool down. I then pour it into a food grade gallon jug that I purchased from my local soap supplier that is well marked all over in black Sharpie. It fills the jug about 2/3s full. I then put the jug in my soap cart (rolling kitchen island); bottom shelf, in back. It doesn't get too hot or too cold.

I do not add anything to my Lye Solution. It is a simple matter to pour it and then add my Sodium Lactate to it. If I want to add sugar, I simply dissolve it in a tablespoon of hot water and add to me oils. Same with Tussah Silk. I don't know if adding anything to my MB's Lye Solution would contaminate or not, but given that Distilled Water can be hard to find sometimes, I choose not to chance it.

You will want to 1) make sure you replace the cap ASAP. And 2) periodically wipe the mouth of your jug and your lid as the Lye Solution will 'dry' and form crusties. You don't want the crusties falling on your counter or in your soap and it will effect the tightness of the lid and possible degrade your Solution.

I have had Lye Solution around for a good six months doing with no issues.
Wow.. thank you for this insight. .. I do 1: 1 lye to water and the other 1 I like to use other liquids. Most of my soaps have Aloe and milk

Thegecko
I have a question. Since I weigh my lye and water separate and then mix, and pretend it is 5 oz lye to 10 oz for a total of 15 oz. If I was using master batch, then I would weigh out 15 oz of it to come up with the amount I need to match the above. Is this correct? I know this might be intuitive but thought I would ask to be positive just in case.
Thanks
gww

Back