Master Batch (lye) question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you master-batch your Lye?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Yes

• Total voters

SummerlandSoaps

Reaction score
I really want to master batch, I think having a 5 year old around and having to make her play in her room every time I mix lye is a main concern. If I am able to make one big master batch once a week while she's sleeping will save me time and worry.

My main question is on calculating how much lye mix and how much water to add. I know you mix the lye and water 50/50 for the master batch, but when you make your soap how do you calculate it. Here's an example:

My basic recipe:

20oz PKO
20oz Olive Oil
15oz Soybean Oil
8oz Lye
14-21oz Water ( usually I use 18oz)

So my 50% lye solution... I would use 16oz of that? How much water then do I need to add?

You are correct about everything.
Since you are using 16oz masterbatch which is 8 oz lye plus 8 oz liquid, you then just subtract 8oz liquid from your liquids used.
You said you use about 18 oz so then you just subtract the 8 oz from that which gives you about 10 oz.

Hope that's clear.

Laurie

Laurie said:
You are correct about everything.
Since you are using 16oz masterbatch which is 8 oz lye plus 8 oz liquid, you then just subtract 8oz liquid from your liquids used.
You said you use about 18 oz so then you just subtract the 8 oz from that which gives you about 10 oz.

Hope that's clear.

Laurie

Awesome!! i get it now!!!! Thank you so much!!!

Latest posts

Back